Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

romdj

tour dps system

So I'm looking to do some ice conversions,and I wondered, if buy a pair of tour skates with the dps system, will I be able to take the chassis and place on an ice boot?

Also is there a difference between a low-end chassis and a mid/high-end chassis? (I'm not talking about magnesium frames) it seems that rbk for example uses the same chassis from the 3K up to the 11K, same thing for Mission...

Quick note, you might be able to buy a chassis without buying the whole boot. I know hockey websites sell them separately, although probably with a somewhat inflated price.

I've never noticed the difference between the various aluminum frames I've used over the years. Maybe they get a little better, lighter, or durable each year but I haven't noticed and I've been using them for 10 years. I use magnesium now and it's lighter (can't speak for the durability though).

As far as putting them on an ice boot, I don't think all boots will be compatible for a few reasons. One being that the rivet holes might not match up. This could be a problem because you'd have to drill more holes and if the holes are close to matching but not quite right then you might end up creating large holes in the boot. Also, a lesser problem might be the chassis lining up correctly with the bottom of the boot. It seems a lot of boots and chassis are constructed in a similar way but I can't vouch for this.

Some ice boots aren't build for a roller chassis. The foot beds might rip out of them (this has happened to someone I know)! Ice boots are GENERALLY pretty durable, but if you use a cheap or low-level boot just know what to expect from it, you get what you pay for in most cases!

I hope that helps a bit at least :)

Should be ok.

Regarding holes. I have switched frames on same boot a ton of times. In fact, I've just converted a boot that was an ice skate, had a hi-lo on it, removed that (it went on another pair of skates) and I've just put a Labeda Pro Edge flat chassis on it (old school chassis for the giggles).

The sole was like a cheese grater however...I either use epocy resin for composite soles, fibreglass or in the case of the skate I did yesterday which is an old school plastic sole...car body filler lol. That stuff works great for filling small holes. You can also redrill that stuff easily, its solid.

So the choice is up to you really:

You could -

Remove the chassis, fill the holes, wait 24 hours then redrill the new ones and affix chassis.

or same but dont bother filling holes - if its just a one time switch I wouldnt bother unless the holes will be on top of each other slightly.