Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjpisat

Best way for an old dude to get back to playing in the DC area

Been a long time since i've even skated so that comes before attempting to play. I can either go to the rink in Frederick, Ashburn or maybe Reston. I know Frederick and Reston both have clinics for beginner adults. Don't know if they are expecting you to already be able to skate. Waiting to hear back from them. Anyway, just looking for some advice on how to get back in to it. not that old, 34.

I don't know about those rinks. I know the Adult clinic at Iceworld in Abingdon is very good. I've seen people at those who weren't great skaters.

Go to some public skates. Afternoon ones if you're off during the week are great, not many people there. Just work on getting your wheels back. I still try and hit a public skate at least once a week to work on skating.

Its more of a drive for you but the gardens Ice house in Laurel has a great clinic on Sat mornings. Also heard good thing about the adult clinics out of the Kettler iceplex - they tend to fill up pretty quickly thought.

The biggest thing is to just get out on the ice, go to some public sessions, do a couple of stick and pucks. Get your skates back under you and then get back out there and have fun.

Thanks

I'm such a dummy. Shouldn't have waited this long. Last time playing was when I was 17 and now I'm going to be 35 in october. I lived in Laurel from 2000-2003. Not far from the rink in laurel and odenton (old caps practice spot...piney orchard)

I did the learn to play hockey clinic at the Ice Gardens in Laurel a couple years ago and have been playing there ever since. It's 8 weeks of instruction one day a week. Then if you have enough people you are entered into the Bronze 4 division for the second half the winter season. I highly recommend it.

Kettler is generally pretty friendly with its pick-up games. They get a really mixed-crowd skill wise and its usually not too busy. I would stay away from the Sunday and Monday night pick-up at Tucker Road because those are some of the more high level games around.

I learned to play a year or so ago in Frederick, their adult hockey classes are pretty decent, esp for the price. I've been in the classes 4 times between the beginner and advanced. They will teach you to skate from nothing, and the folk are pretty nice. If you go up to Hagerstown they do a novice pickup Fridays at 9pm - 11pm and it's a great way to get your legs back under you in a game situation! Wish I had seen this earlier but hope the info helps anyways!