Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hunt3rsean

CCM U+ 09 Shoulder Pads

5'11"

158 lbs

Size: S

Background :

I play in a no-contact A level adult league. But because I am skinny/light weight and have had shoulder issues I choose to wear shoulder pads while I play. The league is pretty lax on incidental contact and even lets light checking happen. Because I am skinny I've gone through multiple brands of shoulder pads trying to find a more slim fit around the ribs/chest area and having a lower profile shoulder cap.

Fit/Comfort : 9.5/10

Even though my height technically calls for a Medium I went with a Small due to my smaller chest size measurement. I felt it was more important to be mobile and have a snugger fit around chest/ribs. The torso portion of the pad fits more anatomical as it hugs the body very well. However, due to the small size there is a lot of unprotected area at the small of my back and at my stomach. I've actually taken an extension piece from a Sherwood shouldpad and attached it to the CCM pads to get some extra abdomen protection. Keep in mind that the U+ 09 does not come with this piece like the U+ Pro does. I had to add something myself. The clavical and shoulder caps provide a very "fitted" feel and give great coverage. These areas seem to hug the body very well. The plastic bicep inserts fit around my arms without any issue. Again, they seem to be form fitted the way they stay against my arm. Overall the pad just feels RIGHT, with nearly everything conforming well to my chest and shoulders. The fit and inner liner are very comfortable and, once strapped down, the pads stay in place.

Protection : 9/10

The way the shoulder caps/clavicle guard for around your shoulders and the pad itself to your torso respectively is the main focus that I felt was important. I've been cross checked in the upper spine area and felt little to no pain. The spin protection is very well done on these pads and offers great protection. I've also blocked a few shots in the rib area and did feel that a little bit. Perhaps CCM could’ve put some high density foams in there instead of the mid that’s in now. However, the amount of coverage they provide makes up for this little flaw. As a side note, I would still say that the rib wrap is better than any previous shoulder pad I've used. Shoulder caps are very well done. I've taken some hard falls to the ice and into the boards with no pain. Also have ran into some heavy bodies without any issue. My only problem is the lack of lower front pad extension. Even my low end Sherwood pads had this available so I'm not sure why CCM decided to leave that off these pads. Like I mentioned before I've actually taken the one from my Sherwood pads and attached it to these.

Mobility : 10/10

The low profile caps and the way the torso section fits is amazing. Because of this they really improve mobility. You don't feel bulky or that you have a bed pillow straped to your chest. The stretch materials around the sternum and spine, in addition to the bicep guards are definitely appreciated. For a high(er) end shoulder pad these offer great mobility in the torso and arms without sacrificing protection.

Weight : 10/10

The weight isn't bad, but there are lighter shoulder pads out there if you're willing to pay for them. However, for someone playing in a rec league level these are just fine. Definitely lighter then the previous Sherwood and Bauer (low end) pads I've owned. They do tend to absorb moisture and that adds some weight probably. Again, in a rec league does it make a difference? Probably not.

Durability : 10/10

I've been using these pads since November 2011 while playing 2-3 times a week. They still look new with no rips or snags. All stich work still intact. Great durability so far.

Intangibles : 9/10

The liner in these pads leaves a bit to be desired because of how it absorbs moisture. I wear a Reebok quickdry longsleeve shirt underneath but still get the pads wet. Given that the shirt is probably the most moisture wicking so that's part of the problem. Not a huge deal but would be nice if they'd stay a little drier. However, for the price this is a compromise. While other pads have adjustable bicep guards the U+ 09 does not. Instead, their bicep pads are attached to the shoulder via a stretch material, which moves very well with the arm and can completely cover the gap between elbow pad and shoulder pad. I use Bauer Vapor X:40 elbow pads and have no overlap. Part of this is probably because of the size small shoulder pads.

Overall : 9.5/10

Perhaps the best shoulder pad I have ever tried on. I really like the low profile, the comfortable fit and range of mobility. If you're looking for a great protecting pad that fits great, but don't want to pay top level price then these are the way to go.