Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yf51

Hockey store New York area

First, I want to note that I've checked earlier similar topics. I still believe that my question is more specific.

I will be staying in Manhattan for a good while. I am pretty much set for life with my hockey equipment, but I will be very open to buying new, unique or custom staff, maybe with some access to the pro stock staff (or its only on ebay?). The amount will depend on the availability.

also I want to fix my hockey skates, replace the holders and so on, maybe even order another pair of custom skates.

Could you tell me if there are real good pro hockey stores in the area around New York City - I am willing to devote one day specifically for this thing, so anywhere around the city is fine too, as long as they can be reached by public transportation.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

First, I want to note that I've checked earlier similar topics. I still believe that my question is more specific.

I will be staying in Manhattan for a good while. I am pretty much set for life with my hockey equipment, but I will be very open to buying new, unique or custom staff, maybe with some access to the pro stock staff (or its only on ebay?). The amount will depend on the availability.

also I want to fix my hockey skates, replace the holders and so on, maybe even order another pair of custom skates.

Could you tell me if there are real good pro hockey stores in the area around New York City - I am willing to devote one day specifically for this thing, so anywhere around the city is fine too, as long as they can be reached by public transportation.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

I recommend West Side Skate & Stick for repairs/sharpenings. 174 5th Avenue #504

Thanks, I've heard they deal mostly with Grafs. But after browsing I've noticed that they deal with more staff. If they have customer recommendations than I think will go there.

ice works in syosset, long island is where the islanders practice and they have a pro shop there that gets pro stock deliveries every once in a while.

Yes, but their sharpening and repair stinks. IMO

If you need new steel, holders, rivets, etc call SportsPlusIII in New Hyde Park. Ask for Mike or Chris. Tell them Miller gave you their name!

As far as new or interesting gear not much on LI. Best I've seen is Hockey Monkey. Just typical retail but a nice selection. I've heard great things on MSH about IceHouse in Hackensack (I believe LawGoalie works there) but haven't seen it.

I would also recommend West Side Skate. Yes, they mostly deal with Graf skates but they do carry a couple of other skate brands. Regarding protective equipment they definitely have a variety of suppliers (Brands). I do not believe they have large quantity of any one particular item because it is a small store, but they are willing to order stuff for you. Very customer friendly staff. Chelsea Piers has a Pro-Shop with a nice equipment selection. Really cannot speak to their technical side of dealing with skates. I have only purchased a couple of items from their shop.

Thank you guys. I now have a nice selection of places to visit. I will definitely visit all places in Manhattan, and may likely go further to Jersey and LI.

I was wondering, are their places that specialize in pro stock staff (hopefully not used)? Or pro stock is the occasional staff that can appear sometimes in some places?

No real pro stock hook ups on LI. Iceworks in Syosset has some stuff and they will be doing a tent sale at their Dix Hills location soon.

Try eBay!!!!

tent sale already happened

not sure I didn't go. I grew up in long island and I am a big fan of the islanders, but live up in albany ny now. I know they said they weren't going to have much pro stock anyway. I think it was a lot of retail stuff. When I do come home to visit my parents I stop in sometimes to see what they have. They do get a decent amount of used pro stock in there sometimes new sticks. Worth a shot to check out. They also have a Facebook page new york islanders pro shop or something along those lines. They always post photos of their shipments and you can message them and discuss pricing and shipping.

I am not a fan of how those shops are run. First the Isles recruited a local LHS retailer names Tim to open upon up a second location at Iceworks because their store was crap and poorly run. THen he closed his original shop because he couldn't really run two. Once he got the Syosset location up and running well they drove him out and he was screwed. He's a great guy and awesome sharpener and they screwed him in my opinion. Then when Dix Hills renovated they outbid and drove out another local LHS owner. In that case I don't feel quite as bad because the local LHS that was there hadn't done much in the space but it's still not cool when the big guy (Wang) acts like a bully.

dkmiller thanks for the info. I can't stand when people run honest working people out of their own spot. I honestly can say I never bought anything from there. I uses to go to plaza sports in the miller place st james area when i lived down there. I have two LHS up here I support pretty regularly when they have what I am looking for in stock. One of them will make whatever effort he can to order you stuff if he can get it. So i tend to shop there a little more.

Thanks for the answers guys. Im sure I will be able to find what I am looking for in the stores you recommended. Although I see that ebay is still the best place to look for pro stock if you do not know anybody in the business.

Hey Members,

Just wanted to let you know there is an excellent Hockey Shop that just opened up in the Northern Long Island, NY area. The name of the shop is Parkwood Pro Shop and there location is 65 Arrandale Ave, Great Neck, NY 11024. The shop staff has been very helpful, friendly, and informative when dealing with all of my hockey related issues. I have had my skates sharpened there, and other players on a couple of the other teams I play on have had skates sharpen there and are always complimentary of Phil's work. They do traditional ROH or FBV sharpening and they can profile your skates. I do not know much about figure skating but I know they specialize in that area too. I had a great experience regarding the FBV sharpening, if you want to know more you can PM me regarding that matter. If you live in the area or are visiting the area you should definitely give them a try, I am sure you will keep coming back. Just ask for Phil if you go to the shop. The Shop phone number is 516 441-5758. In my experience if you leave a message he will get back to you that same day. I believe from some of my discussion with Phil, he is going to start or is already doing mail order sharpenings. If you are interested in mailing in your second set of blades please call him and talk to him personally before doing anything.

Sports Plus, all NY/NJ/CT locations are mostly hacks, starting with the ownership, limited technical knowledge, customer service and attitudes are worse still.

HM and PH in NJ are large enough, and have a wide enough of a selection, but don't really carry anything unusual, just the same stuff you find in any LHS, PIAS, or even Dick's (though very limited). Issues with HM and PH is staff. HM rotate whole staff once a year. PH just hasn't done well hiring people from the start, the manager is a newbie Sports Plus decided they didn't want. Eeeek!

One of the best glove selections I've seen in the area is MSA, where the wall was/is 40' long, by 12' tall showing one of each color/size they have available, with an jumbo jet hanger for a warehouse.

Sports Exchange is another good source, especially since they do a huge "pre-owned" volume.

Best bet is to find a place that has been around since the Civil War, and has a dusty bucket of old gloves for $5 and skates for $10. Unique finds now.

I haven't played in NYC in ages, but Chelsea Piers has a proshop. If you live in NYC, your best bet is to head out to NJ, lots of Hockey stores. Hockey Monkey opened up a warehouse sizes store in Woodbridge NJ. That's your best bet. I live in Staten Island and I am always in that store.