Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alfredbot9000

Roller Hockey Girdles

I am looking to get back into roller hockey and have been away from the sport for just over 10 years. The last girdle I used to have a WSI roller hockey girdle I bought a mission wrap style when they came out but was unhappy with the fit and feel. What seems be be similar to what I'm comfortable with is the Mission CSX, Valken V-Lite, and Reebok 5K girdle any opinions on these options as far as fit and protection?

Alkali girdles look to be very lightweight and simple do they have enough protection?

Has anyone tried the Tron roller hockey girdle if so what are your thoughts on it?

The 3 girdles that you mentioned, are very light weight with really minimal protection. If that is what you are looking for, then any of those are good options. Personally, I like to have quite a bit more protection. I have used the Valken V-Elite, which is good, still protection is slim. The RBK 7K girdle is a step up with some thin plastic inserts, better protection for sure, but not by much. The Mission Thorax Flow girdle has much better protection. I found that it was quite good for recreational leagues. When I joined a more competitive league, I wanted more protection yet, so I stepped it up a level to the Bauer Supreme TotalOne Adaptable Core pad, these have serious protection, but still fit like a glove and have great breathability.

It all comes down to how much protection you are looking for. Regarding size, I'm sure each of these have something that will fit you well, but really you have to try them on. For example, I use a Large in RBK, but a Medium fits in the Bauer. So it is quite dependant on the manufacturer.

I have used the Valken V-Elite, which is good, still protection is slim. The RBK 7K girdle is a step up with some thin plastic inserts, better protection for sure, but not by much. The Mission Thorax Flow girdle has much better protection. I found that it was quite good for recreational leagues. When I joined a more competitive league, I wanted more protection yet, so I stepped it up a level to the Bauer Supreme TotalOne Adaptable Core pad, these have serious protection, but still fit like a glove and have great breathability.

I know comparing a V-Elite, Thorax Flow, and Bauer Supreme is almost an apples to oranges question, but can you make any comparisons as far as weight & breathability. A Supreme TotalOne is more geared toward ice correct? Is it still lightweight/breathable enough for roller? Is that a common thing using an ice girdle for roller?

I've been using the Reebok 5K girdle for like 3 years now during which I was playing DII college roller. I think its perfect for roller in that it is lightweight, not bulky, comfy, has a cup, is breathable and has just enough protection. Unless you plan on taking a lot of slap shots to the thighs then the 5K has all the features you need out of a roller hockey girdle

I know comparing a V-Elite, Thorax Flow, and Bauer Supreme is almost an apples to oranges question, but can you make any comparisons as far as weight & breathability. A Supreme TotalOne is more geared toward ice correct? Is it still lightweight/breathable enough for roller? Is that a common thing using an ice girdle for roller?

I currently use the V-Elite and used to use a Thorax. I also use a Warrior Projekt girdle for ice. The V-Elite is by far the lightest and most breathable of the three, but it's also the least protective. The Projekt is the heaviest of the three, but is the most protective and is still mobile and is comparable breathability wise to the Thorax. The Thorax is a good middle ground between the two - more protective than the V-Elite, but not as breathable and lighter than the Projekt, but not as protective.

Personally, I find the V-Elite to be protective enough for the roller I play (although before the Thorax I wore nothing but pants for years for roller), however; the stitching is starting to come apart at the top on me - I'm going to have to try to resew it or have it resewn soon. I didn't have any stitching issues with the Thorax and used that for a couple years.

Might have to look into the projekt because I am definitely interested in getting into ice after I can get my bearings back in roller hockey. If I can get a bauer or warrior ice girdle I might be able to take the weight issue because it will serve dual purpose.

Only problem is I'm in socal and most rinks are outdoors which means that I have to skate in the sun with whatever I decide to purchase.

Might have to look into the projekt because I am definitely interested in getting into ice after I can get my bearings back in roller hockey. If I can get a bauer or warrior ice girdle I might be able to take the weight issue because it will serve dual purpose.

Only problem is I'm in socal and most rinks are outdoors which means that I have to skate in the sun with whatever I decide to purchase.

The Warrior Projekt is a great girdle, but keep in mind that the belts run short for most people. You may have to use a different belt with it, but it's a cheap and easy fix. It'd be usable for roller and would definitely be protective enough, but of course not as light or breathable as something like the Valken V-Elite.