Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDE3

Wheels...Rebound..what is it?

I have seen this talk bandied about for the last couple of years where manufacturers refer to "rebound" on their wheels....what exactly is it? Does it mean the distance a wheel rebounds after being dropped from a specific height? Is more better? And how does it affect your skating?

essentially the amount of energy returned and not lost....

outdoor wheels, ie. NHL Pro 250 by Hyper..typically had a lower rebound than its Unity, etc...so greater durability, but less performance...

I believe Prime Wheels when they were out had the highest rebound ratings, 90+%

so basically if you want to compare the rebound of two wheels you can drop them from the same height and see which one bounces higher...not very scientific, but could give you a rough idea.

Yes you basically drop them at the same height and see the

difference.

A good rebound would be good for acceleration because the action

is more some sort of impulsion. Part of the energy is returned back

to the impulsion and not lost, as mentionned by Jim A.

But that's not good when you're at full speed. Wheels with good

rebound are softer, hence the Pro 250 (very hard 82a or 85a outdoor

wheels) are bad. When you push with softer wheels, they get bent a

little so the energy is not transfered as well as with hard wheels.

That's why inline speedskaters use very hard wheels, like 85a, or

even 90a for indoors.

As hockey is rather about stop fast and accelerate fast, softer wheels

with high rebounds are better.

"the wheel drop" is a very unscientific way to see rebound and is subject to so many variables...how it lands ,etc..in general..most indoor high end wheels will have a similar rebound...and while rebound is good..i'm sure we'd all agree that wheels are a very subjective choice in one's equipment, much like a choice of OPS's, chassis, et.al

I have no idea the rebound on my Rink Rat's, but I like them, from the day I put them on my skates

But that's not good when you're at full speed. Wheels with good

rebound are softer, hence the Pro 250 (very hard 82a or 85a outdoor

wheels) are bad. When you push with softer wheels, they get bent a

little so the energy is not transfered as well as with hard wheels.

That's why inline speedskaters use very hard wheels, like 85a, or

even 90a for indoors.

Well of course there are a couple of things to look at for speed skating..the traditional floors have been wood which has inherently more grip than dedicated surfaces used for hockey, so you can use harder wheels with less grip. As was mentioned for speed skating as well, acceleration is not as much of a factor as in hockey, so starting grip and stopping grip and hard turning grip(all examples of acceleration or deceleration) do not come into play as much.

And yes I agree that harder wheels roll faster..less compression of the wheel = lower rolling resistance. And using that argument, the Dynasty Wheels from Labeda should be faster than the Rink Rat wheels at top speed, because they certainly appear harder.

What I was trying to get at is that we have two of the recognised top wheels in the sport of inline hockey with the Labeda Dynasties and Rink Rat Hornets, which now no longer use one piece wheels, but three part compounds, and both have merits. They each have different rebound capacities. Traditionally rebound and softer durometer have been pretty much synonymous, and "softer durometer and "low durability" have also been pretty much synonymous.

But are we seeing something new in technology here where a softer wheel might be outlasting a harder wheel? Is there some new material technology afoot where we are seeing harder surface marterials which are also maintaining good grip past the point of "breaking the skin"? There seems to be more going on here than tradional wheel logic can explain....enquiring minds are curious.