Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Problems with Air Canada charters for the NHL

During the lockout Air Canada put their charter jet fleet into the system with a standard seating configuration. The problem is that they didn't tell the teams. Despite what the article says, it does not take long to remove the seats and swap them out, no more than one day per airplane. It will be interesting to see how many teams change carriers if this drags on much longer.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+Canucks+other+teams+miffed/7851411/story.html

If they're anything like U.S. airlines, they've got airplanes just sitting around doing nothing, which should make it easier to reconfigure some aircraft.

If they're anything like U.S. airlines, they've got airplanes just sitting around doing nothing, which should make it easier to reconfigure some aircraft.

Actually, most airlines do not carry many spares anymore. Some are always in heavy check or regular maintenance intervals, but very few carry more than a couple operational spares.

I can't say I know anything about how close to operational status they are, but they have a lot of surplus aircraft that I've been led to believe have been mothballed for reasons other than age or functional problems. KMZJ, Pinal Airpark, near Marana, AZ is one storage location; you can see the aircraft in Google's satellite view.

Many of them are older or belong to leasing companies that can't find anyone to take them. I know that there were a lot of 747s there during the height of the economic crash. You would be hard pressed to find many A319, A320 or 737NG aircraft there that belong to major airlines. There are a ton of MD80s and older 737 "classics" but very few of the more modern and more efficient aircraft.

It worked. I didn't notice what Air Canada is using for charters -- Airbus?

A319 for the all business class charter configuration, same thing Delta inherited from NW.