Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

makbeer

Deciding on a new mask

Hi guys, looking for some help here. Sorry if this doesn't deserve its' own thread. Have done quite a bit of mask research but am still stuck between my shortlist.

Am looking at replacing my 9 year-old NXI Phantom, and unsure which of the following masks is best.

As I am located in Singapore I'm not able to get in the store and try them on, which is a shame of course. I know how important fit is.

For Eddy, I am considering the GT Ultimate III, the LT Custom and the LT III Custom and not sure if the difference in cost from the Ultimate III to the custom models is worth it.

Am also looking at Bauer Profile 9600 and finally, at Sportsmask T3.

Obviously the GT III is the most comfortable mask for me from a budget standpoint and the T3 is the most painful.

I face a wide, wide range of shooters out here from ex European pros/ex div 1 college players down to guys that have picked up hockey in an old age or old-timers. But obviously you need to cater to those top-end shooters haha.

Thanks guys and if this is in the wrong forum do let me know.

Steve

I highly reccommend any of the Eddys. Starting with the GT3, youll get a full fiberglass shell with armaid (kevlar) in the forehead and chin. the GT series is one of our best sellers at GoalieMonkey since it offers great protection at a low price point. Moving up to the Custom LT or the LT3 (the only difference between the two is cage style and padding) Youll again get a full fiberglass shell but will have 3 full layers of a roving kevlar/carbon fiber. (What this means is that the kevlar is woven together with the carbon for an easier manufacturing process) With this material, you get the best of both worlds: Kevlar to dampen impacts and carbon to stiffen the shell. The LT and LT3 are the same shell (And the same shell going up to the LT Pro spec). With the LT3 youll get a gel-type blue padding where the LT will have the standard black EVA foam.

Although the GT3 is an excellent mask, if youre playing day in and day out with ex-college/pros i would go for one of the LT masks and it will last you a lifetime.

As for the other two, ive seen that it is rare for the 9600 to fit someone properly. Its an awkwardly shaped shell and most people find that it hurts when they put it on. The 9600 will be a full fiberglass shell with one layer of kevlar throughout. (For comparison.)

i dont have much experience with Sportmask, but from some of the things ive seen, i would not reccommend them. Some people swear by them, however i have seen 2 occasions where the entire chin cracked up to the cage window (One of them was a custom built to Quick's specs). More reliable masks out there for the price.

In addition, ive found that most people like the feel of the eddys better, especially the LT series. Its rare that someone comes in and cant get it to fit properly.

-Andrew

Makbeer,

If you have time to wait (ie, can wait 2-3 month) you can send Protechsport a mold of your head and they will custom pad one of their shells to your mold for an extremely reasonable price. I would highly recommend checking it out.

I just sent my head mold to Michel at Protechsport. For around 400 dollars (plus shipping, supplies to make the mold) you get a pro level "custom" mask...it's just such a good deal. The only downside is, I'm currently on week 1 of an 8 week wait. If you like the look of the Brodeur, Roy, Luongo, etc. style of mask this is your best option.

Just as a quick anecdotal counter to HB's point about Sportmasks - I've seen similar things happen to a number of masks (including most recently a Warwick and going back a couple years one of the venerable Armadillas). Sportmask is generally regarded as making a very good quality product and I wouldn't rule it out. As in most equipment safety concerns, however, the fit is very important so visiting a store to try masks on should be considered (of course you could always go the custom mold route).