Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hawkin

how to skate faster?

1" grind? That is pretty darned flat. How did he take corners?

It's not that difficult. From what I was told he got up MUCH higher than that as well.

1" grind? That is pretty darned flat. How did he take corners?

As long as you have good edges and strong legs, you don't need a very deep hollow.

Sakic can squat 400 pounds. Just thought I would throw that in there.

Wasn't Jagr legendary for being able to squat something hideous like 1000lbs. ?

Wind sprints are a great way to increase foot speed, and resistance training that target the quads will help to generate more power with each push. If you have a gym membership or access to an exercise bike you can add circuit training or HIIT (High Intensity Interval training). Keep the revolutions above 80 and go as hard as you can for 15 seconds followed by relaxing the pace for 45 seconds and repeat for 20 minutes while increasing the resitance.

Bottom line, train like hell

When you are talking strength on the puck, its no secret the Jagr is top notch in the world. And while Kovalev is a little smaller, he has amazing strength on the puck and along the boards.

Yeah, completely agree with that.

Sakic can squat 400 pounds. Just thought I would throw that in there.

Wasn't Jagr legendary for being able to squat something hideous like 1000lbs. ?

holy shit :o

I think it was his "1000" squats per day, not so much the weight which was legendary(although no doubt he was not a piker in that category either)..I see on this topic the "legend" has grown to 2000/day. Not much time left for anything else .....

Neo: 1000 lbs is near the world powerlifting record, so no, he hasn't come near that. Jagr was famous for using old school methods for gaining strength, and gain strength he did, but none of that ever worked on his determination or heart...

DrMolotov: HIIT is a great way to lose fat and increase your anaerobic capacity, but it's a pretty bad way to train for sports. If you got the time, look up my other posts about working out in general or PM me if you're that lazy about improving your wheels... It isn't complicated, but it hurts like hell to get faster...

Not personally, on TV. It seems like everytime CBC is showing a game where Jagr is playing he's running the stairs. He's always drenched in sweat, just running up the aisles of the stands.

If your doing squats or something, lift heavy weights slowley. By lifting them slowley you will gain more base muscle. After doing that, take some weight off and do more squats, but this time do them quickly. This will train your nervous system and prepare the muscles for explosive strength. Since Neural adaptations are part of strength training, you should do it this way because you can work your neural systems and muscles to work at the same time, causeing more explosivness.

Yep, you're right it was the 1000 squats a day and something involving the axle of an old car :blink:

Great advice crosskore. I'm no excersise scientist so I'll give it a try if I ever join a gym again :ph34r:

Old school lifts are fine...but you have to weigh the damage done vs the benefit. Squats are great, but doing even a hundred in a day will probably damage the cartilige in your knees, and you are going to need some of that stuff to play hockey. So if you are doing this in-season, don't go super heavy, but don't go light for super high number of lifts either. Experiment around for the maximum gains.

Also, lifting slow is a GREAT way to get the full benefit without the potential joint wear. One technique for squats is to go down very slowly, get deep, go up a short distance (maybe 20%), go down and then come fully up. Don't let your knees go beyond the tips of your toes. You can get a much better workout with 30% less actual bar weight.

Dragging a sled with 200 lbs of weights around the driveway is also a great one.

RE: Stadium Stairs.

If you are blessed with wooden stadium stairs, you are lucky indeed! If you have concrete ones, too much running will kill your joints! The concrete does not "give". If you have concrete and have to run them, get some special shoes with a lot of shock absorbtion (New Balance makes some).

I have to agree and disagree with you SB39 regarding HIIT for hockey. For most sports it would not be a great training technique but when it comes to hockey if your anerobic threshold is low you will never reach your potential. I usually use HIIT training with the stationary bike while increasing the resitance until you just can't give it anymore. While it may not serve to make you faster, I believe it will allow you to give maximum effort for a longer period of time. Sometimes all you need is that one step on your opponent to create that chance. I will check out your other posts on working out, my routines are getting boring and I need a new challenge.

Old school lifts are fine...but you have to weigh the damage done vs the benefit. Squats are great, but doing even a hundred in a day will probably damage the cartilige in your knees, and you are going to need some of that stuff to play hockey. So if you are doing this in-season, don't go super heavy, but don't go light for super high number of lifts either. Experiment around for the maximum gains.

Also, lifting slow is a GREAT way to get the full benefit without the potential joint wear. One technique for squats is to go down very slowly, get deep, go up a short distance (maybe 20%), go down and then come fully up. Don't let your knees go beyond the tips of your toes. You can get a much better workout with 30% less actual bar weight.

Dragging a sled with 200 lbs of weights around the driveway is also a great one.

As for the experiment around for maximum gains, you should do between 6 and 10 reps each set. Say your doing 6 reps, your muscles fatigue shouldn't start untill the LAST rep, the 6th. Then the next set it should gradualy start to happen sooner.

If what you said is true, why Jagr has done so many squats?

Beats me. Unless he is doing them with super light weight, it does not make sense. If you want to build up your aerobic capacity, a bike or rowing is the low impact way, not tons of squats. If you want to build up your leg muscles, 10 reps at high weight for maybe 4-8 sets every 4 days will do it best.