Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
XveritasX

Step Steel

A few months ago I needed to replace the steel on my one100's. I've heard great things about step steel so I decided to give a pair a try.

Edge Retention: Since I work at a hockey shop I sharpen my skates a lot, when I was on ls2 steel I typically sharpened my skates after 3 ice times. With step steel I would say it would be comparable to me skating 4 times on these blades. I know that may seem minuscule, but I like to keep my blades in tip top shape so while I only get one extra ice session, it is still a 33% increase. A couple weeks ago I went on the ice 5x without sharpening my skates and they still felt surprisingly good. 9/10

Ease of Sharpening: Speaking from a skate sharpening perspective, I love this steel. It is my favourite type of steel to sharpen. It sharpens smooth and leaves a great edge. 10/10

Value: Where I live Step steel is about $15-$20 more than basic LS2 steel. So it is about a third more expensive, however I feel it is better steel. 8/10

Overall: I really like my step steel. I'm glad I decided to go with it instead of LS2. I feel there is a big enough difference to warrant the extra $20 if you are looking to replace your steel. 9/10