Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

MSHers In the Kitchen

Haven't seen many cooking related topics here, and given our propensity for some dangerous steel, seems like a worthwhile venture. I've spent the past four months cooking professionally and think I've found my life's next great passion. Curious if any other members ended up in the kitchen, or what you do at home for that epicurean satisfaction.

First off, congratulations on finding your vocation! Cooking is a true profession, and though it's brutally hard work, the people who love it wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm 100% amateur, but I find as much relaxation and diversion in the hearth as on the ice.

Just putting together my SV setup, thanks to Frank Hsu of Sous Vide Magic in Toronto; my uncle used to work at IV with Nathan Myrhvold, and I've spent many a happy hour with Modernist Cuisine. Not happy with my butane torch at the moment, but my Weber BabyQ (hacked to use the bigger green propane tanks) picks up the slack.

Also recently developed a major attachment to my mini halogen stove, which makes the best toast and potatoes I've ever done; good convection and passable Maillard effect with negligible moisture loss.

Most of my steel is Wusthof and Global, but my secret favourites are my little 5" Kyocera ceramic and my Opinel No.6, though I've switched to a Balaéo 22gr for most EDC cheese/bread/etc. purposes; I honestly don't mind the chisel blade, which many complain about endlessly, but it's just not as much of a pleasure as the French, just like I'll never quite like any chef's knife as much as my family's heirloom Sabatier.

Cooking in my house is sadly verboten (for a variety of reasons), but there's a definite cooking trend in my family (brothers are good cooks, one worked in restaurants, my dad's a good cook, paternal grandfather was a chef). There's a vocational center I attend sometimes, and I've had many opportunities to be in charge of cooking the day's lunch - everything from beef stew to chicken teriyaki - for the center (about 40 people). A little stressful but a very satisfying experience - we have two, two and a half hours to prepare a main dish, sides, small salads, entree salads (for people who order them), and sandwiches (for people who order them), with maybe 3 or 4 people in the kitchen. I seem to have a knack for it, and it's a big deal for me to get a chance to cook for people in a proper kitchen. One of my friends is learning to cook as well, and whenever I go over to his place we'll usually get some fresh produce and make something up, often soup, easy and a favorite to share.

I enjoy it, but I would never want to do it for a living. I've been getting into smoking and barbecue since I got my smoker last summer.

I too am an admirer of those in that industry. It's not lucrative, easy, or particularly sustainable to the physique, but those who have talent truly can create amazing things.

I count Anthony Bourdain to be among my idols. His work on television with No Reservations, The Layover and now, on Parts Unkown have really opened up my mind (and palate) to how amazing our world can be. My whole perspective of how others live in different parts of the world has been enhanced to a greater level. Bitten by the food and travel bug as one would say. His initial claim to fame in 'Kitchen Confidential' is a great read; part of the reason why I imagine some chefs to be pretty badass. Love Gordon Ramsay and his story as well.

I can say that I am much a part of this new generation of food and epicurially-conscious people. Being in Toronto most of the year, I am lucky to have so many great eats available!

I'm planning a barbeque next month with some friends and have been brainstorming ideas. So far, I have worked out a grill-steamed stuffed walleye and am considering grilling up some amazing Niagara Red Haven peaches, which are in-season.

First off, congratulations on finding your vocation! Cooking is a true profession, and though it's brutally hard work, the people who love it wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm 100% amateur, but I find as much relaxation and diversion in the hearth as on the ice.

Just putting together my SV setup, thanks to Frank Hsu of Sous Vide Magic in Toronto; my uncle used to work at IV with Nathan Myrhvold, and I've spent many a happy hour with Modernist Cuisine. Not happy with my butane torch at the moment, but my Weber BabyQ (hacked to use the bigger green propane tanks) picks up the slack.

Also recently developed a major attachment to my mini halogen stove, which makes the best toast and potatoes I've ever done; good convection and passable Maillard effect with negligible moisture loss.

Most of my steel is Wusthof and Global, but my secret favourites are my little 5" Kyocera ceramic and my Opinel No.6, though I've switched to a Balaéo 22gr for most EDC cheese/bread/etc. purposes; I honestly don't mind the chisel blade, which many complain about endlessly, but it's just not as much of a pleasure as the French, just like I'll never quite like any chef's knife as much as my family's heirloom Sabatier.

Global G-4 is my first serious knife, oh my gosh building a knife collection will be so much fun. I see a lot of big vegetables daily that need to get very, very small. It must be quite the feeling handling the Sabatier.

I too am an admirer of those in that industry. It's not lucrative, easy, or particularly sustainable to the physique, but those who have talent truly can create amazing things.

I count Anthony Bourdain to be among my idols. His work on television with No Reservations, The Layover and now, on Parts Unkown have really opened up my mind (and palate) to how amazing our world can be. My whole perspective of how others live in different parts of the world has been enhanced to a greater level. Bitten by the food and travel bug as one would say. His initial claim to fame in 'Kitchen Confidential' is a great read; part of the reason why I imagine some chefs to be pretty badass. Love Gordon Ramsay and his story as well.

I can say that I am much a part of this new generation of food and epicurially-conscious people. Being in Toronto most of the year, I am lucky to have so many great eats available!

I'm planning a barbeque next month with some friends and have been brainstorming ideas. So far, I have worked out a grill-steamed stuffed walleye and am considering grilling up some amazing Niagara Red Haven peaches, which are in-season.

The other articles I agree with. Being around largely healthy food, and avoiding anything fried, plus lifting and bending and running make for pretty good exercise.

I'll bet that once you get older, those movements will be more taxing. That's what Bourdain said anyhow, which makes sense to an outsider.

Hopefully by that age you're barking at people during service or drinking wine somewhere. But that age is a while away.