Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MetalRider

Upgrade from Bauer XR1

Hey Guys.

So I have been skating on my Bauer XR1 and Yellow Labeda Gripper combination for about a year an half and want to move on to a better skate but I am looking for some suggestions as to which skates I should move on to. I usually do general skates on roller rinks, however I do play pickup hockey and will hopefully be joining into a competitive team.

I have been looking at Mission T9s, other Bauer skates and also ice to roller conversions, but as I have said I am unsure which route to take.

Bits of Info:

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 80kg

Shoe Size: UK12 (Wide forefoot)

Budget: £300 ($470). Will push to £350 ($550) if need be.

Cheers In Advance :cool:

P.S. Any recommendations for a more Ice-like feel would be great!

well looks like you have a good budget. do you like the way the bauers fit? maybe go up that line as their new skates are coming out and the current line is on sale in most places. it looks like the xr5 would be a good spot there

the new mission inhaler skates are great right now and they fit a little wider than the bauers so they may be a bit more comfy. and i know a lot of people say the rink rat wheels give an ice like feel to turns. maybe an AC3 is a good place for you as well. with these though i would get an ac4 or up bc the boto construction is better.

I like Souldrivers suggestions, all good choices. They key will be on fit, if your XR1's fit really well... Then stick to the Bauer line. If you need a bit more room, then the Mission AC3 or AC4 will be a good place to start. The Reebok 9k is also another option for a larger fitting skate.

Cheers for the responses :)

I had a look at the skates and really liked the look of the Mission Inhalers so will have to give them a try.

Whilst looking around I did stumble upon this:

http://www.hockeyoffice.com/mission-axiom-t9-roller-pro-hockey-skate-senior-2e/hockey-store/shop1prodview_iN1037148.html

Its showing the Mission T9s available at £250 ($390) delivered. Any thoughts? Would this be a better choice than the ac3? Or are they pretty much equal?

The Reebok 9k is also another option for a larger fitting skate.

Nooooooo! That skate is a plague. You'll be happy for a month then after that it's all downhill and you'll be looking for a new skate within a year. For more info look at my review on the skate on these forums

Those skates you posted are ee width. I honestly think thatll be too much for you. You say you have a wide forefoot but you seem to be using narrow fitting bauers fine. Have you had your foot correctly measured lately?

Also with the missions I think the inhaler lines have improved enough and offer a lot more over the past models that it validates going with the newer skates.

To be honest, I have not had my foot measured, even when I got the xr1s they were not measured. I was given different size boots to try and see what fit.

I guess my best option would be to find somewhere reliable to get my feet properly measured and to try the skates?

You got it. Looks like the Bauer or mission will be your next skate but it's always good to get the foot measured and fitted at a reliable hockey shop.

Whilst looking around I did stumble upon this:

http://www.hockeyoffice.com/mission-axiom-t9-roller-pro-hockey-skate-senior-2e/hockey-store/shop1prodview_iN1037148.html

Its showing the Mission T9s available at £250 ($390) delivered. Any thoughts? Would this be a better choice than the ac3? Or are they pretty much equal?

T9's are a great skate and at your size and weight they will last well. They are better than ac3's.

Yes but those are also a double e width and the OP doesn't have a properly sized foot. If the skate fits go for it but be weary buying on clearance when the size isn't right. It's really a waste.

All he mentions is a wide fore foot which a EE may suit. What we don't know is the size of his current skates and how they fit him.

MetalRider - Disregard your shoe size, how does the pencil test (volume and length) work for you with these XR1's? What length and width are they? Any pressure points on your feet? Any excessive wear on the liner inside the skate, especially around the heel pocket? This would give us some clues as to how a particular brand of skate might fit you, aside for you actually sitting in a shop trying them on.

Well this is what I'm trying to get across. He currently wears a Bauer (he doesn't mention it's size and doesn't specify if there is discomfort) and says he hasn't had his foot sized or measured by anyone. But he says he has a wide forefoot. IMHO I think he needs to get his foot truely measured before anything else happens. I have a foot on the wider size of D, not quite a ee and I coukdnt stand my foot in a Bauer skate for even a minute. Even their ee size was rough. I could though fit into the missions well both their d and ee were comfy. I think the OP may be thinking his foot is wider than it really is and buying a mission ee would be a mistake. Thus he really needs his foot to be measured before he buys anything.