Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toade

Outdoor Skate recomendation

I'm currently skating on Bauer APXR, which I LOVE. However I am joining another league that is played on an outdoor cement rink and I can't bring myself to put my APXR through that kind of abuse. I was thinking of getting a second set of skates that would only be used on the outdoor rink. Something definitely cheaper than the APXR, but built well enough to standup to the cement rink. That said, I'm hoping not to take too big of step back from the APXR.

Any good recommendations for around ~$200? I was thinking of sticking with Bauers, Maybe XR4 or XR5 on clearance?

Mission Axiom T9s are on clearance at HockeyGiant, not sure what sizes they have left.

Mission Inhaler AC4 is $200.

Get hard wheels.

I'd try to get something like a one95 and convert them, and put some epoxy like jb weld around the abrasion zones to save them from abuse

Thinking of maybe going for either the Bauer XR5 or the Mission T9 on clearance. Is there much of a difference in sizing between the two? Or when compared to the APXR?

Can anyone comment on the fit differences between axiom/inhaler and the APXR (Vapor)?

I currently am in a 7.5EE Vapor. They are pretty snug, but once I got them broken in, I definitely don't feel any pain or discomfort. That said, I think an 8EE might be a tad more comfortable for me. My toes are just feathering, but I fail the pencil test, and ideally they could be a tiny bit wider.

So given that, if I went with a t9 or ac2, what size should I order? Looks like Hockeygiant no longer has an 8EE in the T9. Stick with 7.5EE (as I think Mission is a tad fuller)? I found a good deal on AC2, but it is an 8R, are the Axioms a fair amount wider than the vapors so that I may be able to make those work?

Thanks for the help.

I have not tried on the APXR, but I have tried on APX2 (in 10EE, same as I wear in Mission Axiom T10). I felt that the toe box of the APX2 was a bit narrow for me- just sitting in the store for 20 minutes, I could feel pressure- not pain, but I assume it would have become pain had I skated in them. Vapor is known for a narrow toe box, and a tapered fit. Axiom T9s and T10s are known to have a fit similar to Supreme- contoured to foot.

I do not want to throw pics of my feet all over the place, but I did post them in this thread when I was trying to figure out which skates to get for ice (I decided on T9s and am just going to put Edge holders on them):

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/64666-easton-mako-feet/

So, these being my feet, and them being not particularly tough, the Axiom T10s are doing them just fine- they have this ultra comfy velvety liner right where I have the foot pain, and thus, I appreciate them.

If your toes are just feathering in the APX 7.5EE (and they work once broken in), but you fail pencil test, then I would think an Axiom T9 or T10 in that size might do you well.

Performance wise, I feel that I work ALOT harder in the Axiom T10s to generate half decent speed due to softer materials used and less boot stiffness, whereas with the Supreme One.9s I was effortlessly flying. The problem is, that theOne.9s gave me such foot pain (despite seemingly fitting perfectly) due to the hard materials used for performance. Not sure if Vapor APXR is going for comfort and/or performance, and in what proportion. At my level though (bender, where no one really expects much of me), I can afford to compromise performance for comfort. I would love to have both, but that is yet to happen.

Can anyone comment on the fit differences between axiom/inhaler and the APXR (Vapor)?

I currently am in a 7.5EE Vapor. They are pretty snug, but once I got them broken in, I definitely don't feel any pain or discomfort. That said, I think an 8EE might be a tad more comfortable for me. My toes are just feathering, but I fail the pencil test, and ideally they could be a tiny bit wider.

So given that, if I went with a t9 or ac2, what size should I order? Looks like Hockeygiant no longer has an 8EE in the T9. Stick with 7.5EE (as I think Mission is a tad fuller)? I found a good deal on AC2, but it is an 8R, are the Axioms a fair amount wider than the vapors so that I may be able to make those work?

Thanks for the help.

The newer Mission skates (since Bauer bought them a couple years ago) are based off the Supreme last. The Supreme D is built of a true E last, whereas the Vapor D is a true D. The EE Supreme will be wider than the EE Vapor. The Supremes are also known to be deeper than the Vapors.

It sounds like 7.5 is the right length for you based on your current skates - you just want something a bit wider and deeper. A 7.5EE in the Mission T9 (or the Inhaler line) should fit the bill. The Mission skates will be both deeper and wider than your Vapors. I would not go with the 8R as it'll be a half size too long if you're feathering the toe cap in 7.5EE Vapors.

So I agree with Cosmic - stick with 7.5EE, but move to the Mission skates based off the Supreme last.

Just got my T9s today. Can't believe that they hurt my feet. All of my research lead me to believe that these were an exact model of the T10, but different color and different tongue. Not the case- there is definitely different/less padding in the forefoot, which is unfortunate.