Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xwin

Skate Choice

I'm new to roller hockey, but grew up skating. I'd like to join a league, so now I need skates! I've spent the last two days reading everything that I could find on this forum in regards to skates. That being said, I could still use a sanity check in regards to skate model and size choice.

There are no shops near me that sell roller hockey gear. Oregon is not the place for roller hockey. Needless to say, I have to purchase my skates online. I have a wide foot (~3.75") in a womens size 9-9.5, so about a men's 7 or hockey 6. I have moderate to narrow ankle. I pronate, so I like moderate arch support but Superfeet is too much.

I had an old pair of CCM ice skates that didn't kill my feet but I'm not sure what model. I tried on a used pair of Bauer Vapor x3 ice skates in 6.5 and they were way too narrow. The heel was snug, andI think if it hadn't been heat molded to someone else's foot it would have been good. It definitely didn't allow for any slippage! Tried a used CCM Impact 100 in a 6 which was too long and felt like it was trying to fold my foot in half.

My budget is $200.

I'm thinking of the Mission Axiom T7 in a size 6 EE or possibly the Mission AC5 in 6 E. I have issues with my narrow heel slipping in 90% of everyday ballet flats, so I ruled Tour out due to the wide heel. Alkali sounded interesting, but although it seems like it's very heat moldable I need to be able to judge the sizing of a skate well enough before heating it. I can't take the chance that the skate wouldn't fit me even once it had been molded, and therefore unreturnable.

Opinions? Should I be going with a size 6? With the T7 in an EE or the AC5 in a plain E? Other skates I should consider instead?

If you have a slim heel (like me) then Mission isn't what you should be trying as they are one of the wider heel fits now that Bauer own them. You should be looking at either an Alkali, which has one of the narrowest heel fits, or a Bauer skate.

Nothing beats going into a shop and trying skates for sizing, volume and overall fit but if you can't get there then I can give you a guide to length. Measure your foot, piece of paper against the wall, stand on it with your heel against the wall then mark the end of the longest toe. Measure from the edge of the paper to the toe. 25cms means you are a 6 in Bauer and 6.5 in Alkali (your toes will just brush the toe cap when you first put them on). For every cm larger go up one size.

Don't give up on the superfeet. I pronate also and found they are huge help for inline since there aren't any real options to shift the frame around (as I do for my Graf ice skates).

The Alkali CA7 is on sale just above your budget, they were Alkali's second best skate 2 years ago. You may want to ask Justin in the Alkali thread if this or the RPD Comp would be the better skate. If you can stretch the budget some more then the CA9's are a great buy at $299. They will take you as far as you can go in skill level until you need a new skate.

The Bauer XR5 is also on sale, it is $70 above your budget but it to is an excellent skate for the price and available in a 6EE (both brands in the sizes I mentioned at the Monkey). This skate also will take you right from beginner to an advanced level of play. The XR4 was also a good intermediate skate.

As to heels and a good heel lock. If you are finding you can't get a decent lock in whatever skate you eventually end up with, look at stable26 socks, http://stable26.com/products/. By playing around with the inserts you can dramatically increase your heel lock. It's typically the foot you pronate the most on that really needs the inserts. As your heel rolls around inside the back of the boot, you put excessive sideways force on the lining and this causes the pocket to get bigger much quicker. Getting a good heel lock from the start will increase the life of the boot, in terms of how well it supports your heel before it finally goes soft.

Ezeefit ankle booties (I find the 2mm are the best) is also another option to help fill that negative space around the heel, along with the other benefits they offer.

I measured, and my foot length is 24cm. Does that mean I need to go down to junior sizing and get a 5?

Thanks for the tips about skates and heel fit, I'm not able to expand my budget at this time but I'll definitely take a look at those skates.

If you are in the junior sizing then things get cheaper but your choice gets more limited as not all manufacturers offer their whole range or sizes in junior. For example in Bauer your choices in a top end skate are an X90R and then an X60R, no X70R or apxr or apx2r etc. Unfortunately Alkali don't do 1/2 sizes in juniors so you would have to go up 1 size.

If you are a 24cm then in Bauer I'd get a 5 for a perfect fit, a 5.5 for a little bit of wiggle room and growth. A 5.5 in Alkali would be a perfect fit but you could get away with a 6.

id have a look at the new range of alkali skates. im sure Justin will chime in.

The alkalis are designed to be heat moulded..thus they only have "one width". However im sure Justing stated that with the new materials, the heat moulding allow the boot to mould to a foot which is a d width through to someone who is wider fit E/ee etc.