Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLAYEROFSOULS

Runner/blade misalignment?

So - post first skate on these Nexus 400 and i'm trying to figure out where my issues lie and if they can be fixed or if I just need new/custom skates. One of the things that was very apparent to me was my right foot in these skates felt off balance/wobbly/like my ankle wasn't being supported at all and my skate wanted to roll inwards. This of course got me googling, and I ended up reading about skates coming with misaligned runners or bent steel so I of course investigated my pair and I am not entirely sure there's a physical issue with my runner or steel or not, but my girlfriend thinks both are off center to the left..i'd love some opinions if my pictures show enough detail to allow anyone to help me out here. My left foot wasn't too bad, but I definitely have some heel lock issues with the skates irregardless of this issue if there is one so I am very torn on how to feel, and now that it's been 10 hours since I skated in them the foot pain is starting to kick in.

IMG_20140323_012710.jpg

IMG_20140323_012731.jpg

IMG_20140323_012738.jpg

So any thoughts or opinions are very much appreciated. I genuinely just want some skates that support my feet and don't want to fly off when I take a stride (I generally put a lot of power through my strides since I took a fair amount of power skating lessons in my younger days so i've never done much light/quick striding).

Can you flip the skates over and take good clear shots looking down on the whole bottom, showing outsole/runners and holders?
Looking down the barrel too so to speak as well?
I had an issue with a wobbly skate, and the runner was actually bent because of a misaligned holder.

To truly see if they are misaligned bring them to a LHS and have them put the skate/torque bar on the steel and if it goes on smooth the they are aligned properly, if they have to force it on a bit then they are misaligned. I had issues with my CCM skates when I replaced the runner with LS2 and the staff at pure hockey didn't properly align them.

It looks ok from that angle but like someone else said need to see bottom of skate, something like this

GrafTuuk2.jpg.

Would be looking to see if the holder is centered on the hell and forefoot of the skate and I would look down the steel to see if it was bent/warped.

If those all pass maybe its a bad sharpening.

Here's the right skate. Couldn't get the pics to come out any better >.>. To me, the steel looks like it might be warped when looking at it straight ahead, and when comparing to the left skate, but maybe im crazy.

IMG_20140323_125342.jpg

IMG_20140323_125413.jpg

IMG_20140323_125510.jpg

IMG_20140323_125528.jpg

Here's the left :

IMG_20140323_130153.jpg

IMG_20140323_130507.jpg

IMG_20140323_130522.jpg

And here's another of the right steel from straight ahead, hopefully looks a little clear-er :

IMG_20140323_130422.jpg

Dude... it's the flip flops....I can never get my flip flops exact, I'm always wobbly, and guys fly right by me!

heheh

In all seriousness- do you have a steel ruler/framing square that you can put the edge against the side of the blade to see if you can see daylight between the 2?

Dude... it's the flip flops....I can never get my flip flops exact, I'm always wobbly, and guys fly right by me!

heheh

In all seriousness- do you have a steel ruler/framing square that you can put the edge against the side of the blade to see if you can see daylight between the 2?

I'm in South Florida...flip flops are a must >.>

I questioned ankle stability etc but frankly, if I can squat 315+ all the way ass to the grass and not have my ankles explode on me, or calf raise 500+ on a leg press machine comfortably in a full range of motion I think my ankles are fairly strong/stable. I tried on my older, very shitty fitting skates also to check my ankle wobble etc and had none like I do in these Nexus. I've also had the skates on with yellow superfeet in them, and without the superfeet in them.

I tried a steel ruler across the blades, and the ruler does seem to sit fairly securely on its own on my left skate, and there isn't any real apparent gaps. The ruler on the right skate takes much longer to get to sit along the steel and it does seem to have gaps but frankly my eyes suck and I could be imagining things LOL.

Visibly though it does seem that the riveting on the right boot is off towards the rear of the skate (I.E. they aren't clearly centered in the cut outs on the runner itself like the other rivets are) and there is a mis-match between the two boots on what part of the under lying carbon/composite is showing which doesn't seem right to me.

Squatting/calf raises wouldn't challenge your ankle's lateral stability. I think you need to take them into a store and have them take a look at it -- FWIW I know one of my NXGs runners is warped slightly, but it still doesn't make me wobble or really affect me skating.

Squatting/calf raises wouldn't challenge your ankle's lateral stability. I think you need to take them into a store and have them take a look at it -- FWIW I know one of my NXGs runners is warped slightly, but it still doesn't make me wobble or really affect me skating.

Good point sir, suppose I didn't consider that too heavily lol. I did end up having my local shop look at them, and apparently they are fine. Young lady that helped me did say the steel was kind of loose and she tightened it so that might be the issue, or it could be a sharpening issue as the other store employee was busy talking about his fantasy hockey league and not paying attention to sharpening my steel. Either way I'm still baffled on what skate I need to fit my foot properly with heel lock and the whole nine yards. While I was getting my skate looked at I tried on a size 4 D width supreme one.5 and the damn things actually fit me, but felt strange in the above ankle region..other then that my toes weren't cramped and my heel wasn't going anywhere.

Even if the holders are mounted straight and dead center down the middle of the boot, it still might not be right for you. The blades need to be aligned directly under where your feet carry your weight.

Even if the holders are mounted straight and dead center down the middle of the boot, it still might not be right for you. The blades need to be aligned directly under where your feet carry your weight.

Very valid point. Found this out after I did some more research on the matter via google, and it makes plenty of sense. I may look into this after I get a more proper fitting boot - either a smaller size Nexus or just a different line.