Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Time for another review, this time it's the Mission Pro Compression Padded Shirt. Is it a shirt, is it shoulder pads? Actually, it's both.

I picked up this item second-hand, used twice, from another MSH member. Best purchase ever.

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

pro-compression-shirt-back_zps0a4dff3c.j

Background:

31 years old / 5’11 / 215lbs / left-handed

Men's div B/C and shinny hockey (former minor league rep team player)

On ice ~5 hours a week

I've struggled to find a good, light-weight and protective shoulder pad for adult rec hockey and shinny. I've previously used and liked the Bauer Supreme One.4, but found it a bit bulky for shinny.

Fit

I picked up the XL model - I'm usually between a L and an XL when it comes to uppers. I'm sure glad I went with the XL because this product fits SMALL. It definitely is a compression shirt.

I do appreciate that it wears pretty long on my torso so I can tuck it into my pants. This is a big bonus because I don't like when shirts or shoulder pads roll up.

The protective shoulder and arm caps are attached using adjustable velcro. This is also a bonus as not everyone is built the same. I'd prefer if this shirt was a tad roomier in size, but otherwise fits great.

8.5/10

Protection

I'll preface this topic by stating that I don't play contact hockey anymore. I was looking for something lightweight, moveable, flexible, breathable, etc. This product fits the fill perfectly.

I feel more than comfortable wearing it during shinny, but I am a bit hesitant to wear it during league play for one reason only. The padding over the core/heart and ribs leaves a bit to be desired.

It would likely only pose a problem if you were bodychecked straight on, if you got hit by a shot, or if you were slashed. For me, it works perfectly for shinny. The guys I play with keep the puck down when someone is out front.

The green perforated padding in this area is nothing more than airy foam. It moves great with your body - I'll say that. This would be a perfect option for roller hockey and I think that's what it was designed for.

The shoulder caps, due to their adjustable design tend to sometimes hang a bit low. This exposes a bit of the top of the shoulder. I've yet to dial this in pefectly, but like I said, they work perfect for shinny.

6.5/10

Weight

Zero concerns here. This is a lightweight product. You barely notice that it's there.

10/10

Durability

I wash these in the washing machine with cold water and normal detergent once a week. They've held up nicely for the past 3-4 months. No issues whatsoever.

The heatpress mission logos for the sizing and part number are wearing off, but this is minor. The graphics on the body of the shirt remain vibrant. No issues with stitching or straps or velcro.

9/10

Intangibles

The compression shirt itself is a short sleeve. Likely designed to keep roller hockey players cool in the warmer months.

I'm a long-sleeve hockey shirt guy. Because of this I end up wearing a long sleeve Under Armor shirt under the Mission Pro. This adds a bit of bulk, but I refuse to play without long sleeves.

I'd ultimately like a version of this with long sleeves and a touch more protection in the chest/heart area. Sometimes the padding moves around inside when you wash it - easy enough to fix.

8/10

Conclusion

For shinny, I couldn't ask for a better pad. If you're a gambler, it might also be all that you need for league play, as long as you're coming from not wearing shoulder pads at all. It's a compromise.

This shirt would rock for roller hockey. It's protective enough, it's cool, light, and moves with your body. The pricepoint is pretty good for a compression shirt with a semi-shoulder pad built in.

Overall, I'd buy another one without hesitation. Great product in terms of what it's designed for.

42/50 - 84/100 = 84%

Background:

30 years old / 5’11 / 175lbs / right-handed

Men's div 2B

On ice ~ 3 hours a week

I have been attempting to find a "shoulder pad" that meets in the middle of not bulky, but provides some protection.

Fit

I had my LHS order this in a size large based on a few other reviews I've read. Davetronz included. My LHS isn't very big and normally doesn't stock padded shirts, so I gambled on the size. Since I'm skinny I figured I should be okay. I'm glad I didn't go with a Medium because there is no way I could have gotten it on. The large goes on relatively easy when dry and feels like a compression base layer should. However, after a game and it's all wet it can be a bit difficult to remove. I'd highly recommend going a size larger than you would normally order. Length is great as it tucks well down into my pants. Shoulder caps and bicep pads are adjustable in length. Cool feature, but I'm still playing around to find the "perfect" fit.

8.5/10

Protection

I do not play contact hockey. However, the league I play in allows some bumping and grinding which I'm okay with. But, this means I'd like some protection around my shoulders and forearms. For this the shirt is great. The caps and forearm pads offer good protection while being lightweight. If you are looking for a "shoulder pad" setup that offers good chest and back protection then look somewhere else. While there is stiff foam in the chest and back region it's incredibly lightweight. It might be okay for roller hockey, which I believe this was designed for, but I'm not sure how much it will do for an ice puck. I've taken a deflection off my chest and it stung. But I wasn't left with any permanent damage and hardly a bruise. If you're a minimalist like I am, then you will be just fine. Just don't go looking at this shirt for anything substantial in the chest and back areas.

7/10

Weight

Hardly notice it's anything more than a base layer when you put it on. Love it.

10/10

Durability

So far I've had no issue with any rips or tearing. All seams are staying strong and tight. Even after playing around with the velcro straps to adjust shoulder cap and forearm pad length there is no fraying. Very happy so far. I've been playing in this shirt for over 2 months and washing it after every game. You can't tell it's ever been used. Very happy.

10/10

Intangibles

The compression "shirt" is actually a sleeveless shirt designed for roller hockey. Due to it's very tight fit it can seem to get a little warm during summer season. I'm one to wear a light base layer or nothing at all when playing, so not having any sleeves doesn't bother me. Only issue I've had so far is that the shoulder caps seem to "float" since they are left to be adjustable. Some may not have issue with this, but it tends to nag at me. I'll find a way to keep them more in place and then it will become a non-issue. Again, roller hockey players may even remove them completely. I've played a few games with only the forearm pads and it's worked out great. I would be okay if the chest and back padding was increased a bit. The shirt is so lightweight I think some minor weight added in these spots wouldn't be noticed.

9/10

Conclusion

At the end of the day....this is a compression shirt with decent shoulder pads and minimal chest/back padding. If you are a player who doesn't wear shoulder pads looking to get into something I'd recommend this shirt all day long. It moves with your body, doesn't get overly hot like a heavy shoulder pad, and offers decent protection around the shoulders/forearms. I wouldn't want to take a direct shot to the chest, but knowing there is at least some padding there makes me feel good about wearing it. I'm happy with the purchase and will continue to use this shirt for quite some time. I'd recommend this shirt for shinny and for the beer league player okay not wearing a traditional set of shoulder pads.