Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hollowicked

APX 2 Skates

Skate: Bauer Vapor APX2 8D
Foot Type: Narrow heel average to a little wide but nothing drastic forefoot
Ht./Wt.: 6 200 lbs.
Play Level: A/B level adult league. Center/LW
Previous skates worn: Vapor 7.0 and tried nxg's but realized they were the wrong boot for my foot

I know I may be a little late to the party on the APX2 review with the line being out for a while now but figured I sing the praises for this skate since I enjoyed it so much. I skated Bauers my whole life but tried to experiment with other brands (graf ccm) before coming back to Bauers. I quickly learned what is right and wrong boot wise for my foot. I tend to be rather hard on my skates so the stiff boot of the APX2 was perfect for me.

Fit (9.5/10)
Skates fit me great right out of the box and were basically like slippers once baked. I have no complaints. Only reason they did not get the full 10 is because I have an odd spot on my foot and that was my area of discomfort but eventually went away.

Depth- Depth was perfect for my foot I passed the pencil test no problems. I will say the new lacing does take away a little depth. Also attempted to use superfeet but they took up some depth as well so opted to stick with stock footbed.

Width- I had no issues with the boot when it comes to width, I know some people tend to think the vapor line is too narrow but it does open up a little in the forefoot and it was perfect for me.

Toe Cap- Great toe cap it seemed wider then the one I had on my 7.0's and it was a great improvement.

Comfort- Hands down this boot was one of the best I had when it comes to immediate comfort. They really were slipper like post baking. I love the toe flaps on the footbed very nice touch when it comes to adding a little extra comfort. Also the liner was soft and supple no issues here. The comfort edge after were a very welcoming addition for me I had a spot on my upper ankle that was an area that rubbed on my 7.0's

Blade/Holder (9.5/10)
I love the Tuuk lightspeed edge holders! I was very skeptical at first that they could improve my turning but once on the ice I noticed quicker turns. I am not a fan of the steel though, I get it they are light and kids love picking up the skates in the pro shop and going i want this one its the lightest. For me id rather the ls2 or ls3 that holds and edge longer. I really wish I could get a set of Step for this holder but Bauer kinda locked down the market with patents.

Weight (10/10)
Amazing skate in terms of weight, TO may be a tad lighter but nothing I noticed on the ice. Also swapped the steel to ls2's so picked up a few oz there but well worth it to me as id rather the steel then the fusions.

Protection (10/10)
I have blocked a few shots off the boot and felt pretty much nothing. The curv composite does a great job of protecting the foot. With that being said I would not want to line up and full clapper into the boot unless I had some skate fenders but overall very impressed.

Durability (9.5/10)
The paint they used has a few scuffed spots and marks but that is just cosmetic. The integrity of the book is solid all around. Stitching it top notch and have not had any issues at all when it comes to the durability of the boot other then the few scuffs.

Performance (10/10)
Getting in a boot that properly fits is the key and with this skate I gained so much in the form of performance. My top end speed has improved, lateral cuts and turns. I never have had a skate so responsive. I skate the motion and the skate just finishes it. Hard to explain but once you get these on your feet immediately your skating confidence improves.

Overall Assessment (98%)
I found my skates hopefully for a long time. Once the new line drops I hope to pick up another pair or even 2 on clearance to have. I cant sing the praises of this boot enough.

BOTTOM LINE- IF you have the money and the boots fits your foot dont think twice. The skate is just amazing. Bauer hit a home run with these no doubt.

• Like 1