Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheetodust

Can Too Low Flex Cause Low Shots?

i'm just curious if not having a high enough flex with stick can cause shots to always be low? When I am at home or at stick and puck I have no problem elevating the puck, but during games my shots always stay right on the ice. I am using a Bauer P14 87 Flex and Sherwood Rekker PP14 with 85 flex with same result. Also have a Bauer P14 95 flex but have not used it much due to being used to the feel of 85 or 87 flex sticks. Just wonder if the adrenaline during a game is causing me to flex the stick more? if it helps, I am 6 feet tall and weigh 200 lbs. Thanks for any help!

I've been using 65flex sticks for a year. Also I've been waiting for arriving my new sticks which is roughly 55flex. I'm 168cm, cut my stick at chin.

The reason why your shot goes to right or low is that you released the puck with such blade angle. This is just a fact. If we didn't point the target by the toe of the blade after shooting, the puck go to exact point/area according to the blade angle of when we released the puck. If it didn't so, it is magic. If so, we can do nothing.

Then you feel that you can shoot correctly on the floor or stick&puck time but you can't when real game. I can't say exactly I've not seen your shooting but able to mention some common reasons.

1. Your position would change as more aggressive for getting speed --> Your shaft angle also change, leaning forward --> Puck fly low

2. You can't set the puck the same point as you do when stick&puck --> Little near --> Puck fly low

These 2 reasons are popular. And also I think there is a possibility that your expectation is correct too. If you could flex your stick than usually, you should release the puck more forward point. Or you should shoot with top hand power mainly because the blade angle would be more close if we shoot with bottom hand mainly.

What kind of result are you getting with the 95 flex stick?

I would guess that your position and timing are changing in game situations like Mimizk said. I can usually put the puck where I want with heat when warming up the goalie but in the game if I am off balance at all, well I have harder passes than shots at times.

I'm sure you guys are right. When I notice it the most is when I am on a breakaway and have a defender close enough to have to shoot around. I'm really leaning to the right to shoot around them. I mostly play right wing. I'm sure that puts me off balance.

I occasionally warm up with my 95 flex stick but have a hard time with saucer passes and short flipper shots/passes. I would say due to less flex. I would probably get used to it if I just kept going with it.

Thanks for your advice!

In my experience I find it easier to get the puck up in the air with a lower flex stick. I go back and forth from a 60 some flex to a 80 some flex stick. I can elevate it much easier with the 60 flex stick and when I move to the 80 flex stick I have a hard time till I make adjustments and push harder on the stick.