Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Cutting P28/W28/E28 Lie 5 stick question

I was just curious if anyone here found that it was more effective to cut more off of a 28 series (Kreps) because of its 5 lie and toe curve. I've been using it for about 6 mo and at 5'9 off skates I've had success with it but I find its a bit more difficult to get hands in front like you're supposed to shoot with this curve. I cut exactly 1 inch off my Bauers and decided to try an extra inch off. Anyone else run into this?

I've wondered this myself, not so much for shooting but for catching passes because the toe sticks up more than on the W01 (PM9)curve I had been using till I tried the W28. I originally switched from the p87a curve because I had trouble catching passes with it because the higher lie didn't leave enough blade on the ice. I haven't tried cutting it though because I haven't really noticed myself missing many passes I should have caught and I don't want to mess up my stickhandling which has gotten a lot better with the curve. Interested to hear how it works out for you.

To me this curve is not forgiving to lazy or improper form. Shots will sail but if you tip your hands forward they will be in the right spot. Slapshots are fine and passing too with 1 inch but I think my form is forcing me to take more stick off. Guess I'll find out soon

I've wondered this myself, not so much for shooting but for catching passes because the toe sticks up more than on the W01 (PM9)curve I had been using till I tried the W28. I originally switched from the p87a curve because I had trouble catching passes with it because the higher lie didn't leave enough blade on the ice. I haven't tried cutting it though because I haven't really noticed myself missing many passes I should have caught and I don't want to mess up my stickhandling which has gotten a lot better with the curve. Interested to hear how it works out for you.

I can see how that would be a problem reaching for a puck in front of you, since the blade's rocker will go: __/

Essentially, you'll have to focus on catching the pass with the heel, where it's flush with the ice, or with your blade cupped, so the rockered toe is in contact with the ice.

If you cut the stick short enough to catch the puck with the toe, then wouldn't the heel be shooting off the ice in reverse, like: \__

I imagine that would make catching passes even harder.

The observation that using the p28 curve is unforgiving to improper form is exactly on point. From my experience as a skills instructor, using this curve has revealed to me that it takes a player with consistent technical mastery to get as much bang-for-your-buck out of the curve. It's not a lazy players curve and with the rocker I strongly feel you need to have it cut under your chin and operate with the puck with both hands in front of your body as much as possible. Can't allow top hand to rest on hip.

If my knees aren't in a deep knee bend it's difficult to use the curve. Must have heel on ice for catching and making passes with power and precision and in order to get as much blade on the ice knees must be bent. When shooting off the toe hands must be thrown out in front of the body and you may want to pull puck in towards your feet. It will be difficult getting that leverage without deep knee bend.

Since using the p28 curve I've cut my sticks the shortest I've ever had them in my adult life. This curve is not for everyone as it is VERY unforgiving of bad habits.