Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitchy

Using ice pants/socks for roller

Toying with the idea of using ice pants and socks to play roller as I'm getting tired of ripping up my pants all the time. I play on a relatively smooth surface (roll-on) but the stretchy lycra material on my pants keep ripping. I suspect the somewhat tacky surface is grabbing on to the durable nylon parts and the next fabric to give is the stretch panels.

So I'm asking the roller guys who wear ice pants/socks: Is wearing ice stuff too hot? Will the socks rip just the same?

Thanks for any input!

I can't say I've ever worn my ice pants to play roller, but I think they would be way too hot. 

In high school, my team provided us with pants from ace jerseys and they have held up really well for me. I've used the same pair since freshman year. (5 years ago-playing 3-4 tines a week) They're a thicker material so I think that helps. I'm not sure if you can just order a pair of pants from them, but I think they're worth checking out

Try to grab a pair of these in your size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKxmB_jc1g

The Valken V-Pro pants have 1680 Ballistic Nylon Articulated gusseted knees. Basically there are slits in the knees that stretch and help keep the nylon from tearing if you fall. I've had a pair for around 5 years and they show wear and tear in some areas, but there are no holes in the knees. I also have a pair of the Tron V-Pro versions that I've had for a couple of years and those have held up well in the knees, but there are some holes up near the Velcro closure (still zip and close fine though and they're smaller holes).

I used pants and socks when I first started playing ages ago and they're hotter and bulkier. Socks will also rip much easier than ballistic nylon. Roller pants and girdles are much lighter and offer better ventilation and mobility. The V-Pro pants aren't as light as most other top end roller pants, but are much more durable and will still be lighter than traditional pants and socks when they're paired with a good girdle like the Valken Elite, CCM RBZ ect.

The V-Pro pants are an older model and can be hard to find now, but Hockeytron is clearing out their versions for $35 (formerly $89) in medium, large and XL: http://www.hockeytron.com/Tron-V-Pro-Senior-Inline-Hockey-Pants.html?sc=47&category=719

They also have small Valken V-Pros for $18: http://www.hockeytron.com/Valken-V-Pro-Senior-Inline-Hockey-Pants.html?sc=47&category=719

3 hours ago, stitchy said:

Toying with the idea of using ice pants and socks to play roller as I'm getting tired of ripping up my pants all the time. I play on a relatively smooth surface (roll-on) but the stretchy lycra material on my pants keep ripping. I suspect the somewhat tacky surface is grabbing on to the durable nylon parts and the next fabric to give is the stretch panels.

So I'm asking the roller guys who wear ice pants/socks: Is wearing ice stuff too hot? Will the socks rip just the same?

Thanks for any input!

I was always the lone player that wore ice hockey gear to play roller hockey.  Personally, i just think roller hockey gear looks funny.  What i would do was just wear my normal knee pads with ice hockey socks the same way i would in ice hockey, but instead of wearing ice hockey pants, i would just wear a shell with nothing underneath.  (except a cup of course).  Wasnt hot at all IMO. 

The Valken pants I linked to are roller specific. They have the articulated knees, a higher grade ballistic nylon for the knees (1680D for the Roller pants and I see 840D for most of the higher end paintball models) and more ventilation than the paintball pants. The paintball pants would be useable, but they'd likely be a bit heavier due to the padding and may not breath as well or be as durable in the knees. The roller specific Valken pants are also much cheaper than any of the paintball options right now since they're being blown out.