Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moteef17

Skate Sizing - Junior to Senior (Struggle)

I'm working through some sizing realities with my 12 yr old.  He's been in a pair of Supreme ONE60's for about 18 months, size 5D.  He loves those skates.  He's an average sized kid for his age, perhaps on the petite size.  But, his feet are getting longer....   Recently I bought him new sneakers, size 8.5.  I asked him how he was still fitting into his ONE60's, so I pulled the footbed out and had him stand on it.  His toes were about an inch past the end of the bed.  He said his toes had been curled for a few months but it wasn't bothering him too much.  I had purchased a pair of Vapor X60's (2015?) from another parent in a size 5.5D several months earlier, since they were practically giving them away.  He tried those one, liked the fit, was excited to be back in a Vapor skate, since having the Vapor 4.0's when he was 9 and 10.  He did indicate that they felt more snug (which didn't surprise me, because I know that fit doesn't lend towards a wider forefoot as well as the Supreme.  He skated in those a few times at free skates, and while he said he liked the skate overall, the tightness was bothering him enough to talk about it.  And, I realized that at an 8.5 sneaker, he probably needed to be in a larger size anyway.

My next move.........  I picked up a pair of closeout Graf 8035 for him.  This was an experimental skate to try for him, but I have a good barter / trade relationship with several other parents and I figured I could let this skate go if the experiment failed.  I got a size 6.5 in the Graf.  My son loved the fit/feel of the skate and wore them for about 15 hours over the course of a 5-day camp.  He had no complaints about the fit, feel, etc.  But he said he felt like was just moving slowly.  The 6.5 is an adult size skate, and got the 75 flex (lowest available).  I think due to his overall size and weight, the skate is just too bulky, heavy and not offering him the forward flex that he was very familiar with on the Supreme ONE60 (and the Vapor X60). 

I've since been able to barter/trade into a size 7D Bauer 190.  It's a nice looking skate, but my concerns are that he's now entered the Senior sizing and it's a lot 'more' skate to handle.  His sneaker size is between a 8.5 and 9.  I'm confident his foot type lends to the Supreme line and that's why I got a hold of the 190's in his very next size.  But, I'm also thinking i'll have him finish out his summer season with the X60's to enjoy his last few months in Junior sizing.

Anyone else have this struggle when crossing over from Junior to Senior sizing (for yourself or children, friends, etc)?

Honestly, he sounds like a solid skater as it is.   From what I've found working with kids his age, you will have that "weight"/feel transition to have to get through as he gets into senior sizing - the materials are thicker and thus have more weight.  

It'll pass as he strengthens his legs and eventually he won't notice them.  In terms of forward flex, it might be worth skipping the second eyelet and going from 3rd eyelet straight to top.  That'll give him solid lateral support while giving him a wee bit more forward flex.

He's a solid skater, yes.  He pivots and transitions well and has decent outside edges as well.  He's got a short / quick stride and he'll need to learn over time to lengthen that and get more efficiency going.  And, that short stride is party what made the GRAF's stand out as not working as well for him.  I could almost see him getting back into the GRAFs (unless his foot grows drastically) in the next year or so once he's got a more powerful and longer stride.

He wore the vapors around the house a bit last night and I think we've figured out a lacing technique that alleviates the pressure on the forefoot enough to get through an hour's ice time.  He's always tended to cranks his laces from the lowest eyelet all the way up the foot.  Modifying that approach will help him with the Vapors for now.

I cannot tell you what fits, but can state that from what I recall with junior skates.  Bauer shifts from jrs being 1 size below shoe size, but jumps up to 1.5 below shoe when going to senior AND that can lead to a sizing issue, IF you really what to look at that. 

I would think the fit with width might be a bigger deal.  My Boy has one of the bigger feet on his team...BUT skates and hand me downs can get crazy with some players and teams (IMO).

The best measure is to find a brand/model that works for him and stick with that line.  He may just have big feet and once he adapats to the larger skate...Should be no problem.

I am shocked with how loose my boy keeps his skates.  I could never skate with them as loose as he does.

He played a game last night in the Vapors, size 5.5D.  I had him leave the laces at a superficial tightness across the top of the foot and only pull tight in the top 3 eyelets (which he ties himself and can only get 'so' tight).  He was very happy with the skate, said the little bit of pressure in the forefoot was barely noticeable.  I think we'll live with these for now.  I have a size 7D in the Supreme 190 which we'll put him in when his foot and legs are ready.