Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Hills

Sniper Skin 3 Blade Wrap

Sniper Skin sent me their updated Blade Wrap for me to try out and give feedback on. As you can see this one is vastly different from the original wraps that I have already used. While I didn't see any actual names for the wrap I did notice on the packaging it being labeled as SS3, so I am titling this wrap as the Sniper Skin 3 for these review purposes. This is an updated blade that won't shrink in summer heat through postal services and that has been made with feedback received from the previous versions.

This wrap feels less smooth and less like plastic than the previous one, it feels as if it has a coating that you can feel on your fingers after touching it. As you can see the design is to mimic that of tape and I must admit it is more pleasing to the eye, they informed me it can be customized but I am not sure to what extent. The holes are only a single row at the top on the front and back of the skin.

When applying the skin you no longer have to cut it, but just ensure a portion of the toe is exposed before shrinking the blade wrap onto the blade itself. The wrap sits fairly flush onto the blade.

So far the blade feels to be an improvement over the last one, but on-ice performance will be key here and you can expect to see a full video review and write up after I get to use it on the ice.

m5YmAnV.jpg

The blade right out of the packaging.

CQJPsZH.jpg

Close up of the new blade wrap

781kUPo.jpg

Previous blade wrap

94lCTQi.jpg

After shrinking

xfrADFC.jpg

Back after shrinking.

copdUJb.jpg

Toe after shrinking.

Full Disclosure I was sent this after my review of the Blade Wrap. Sniper Skin wanted me to test out the new version and report on my findings.

Since putting the new wrap on I have used it for 5 games so a little over 5 hours.

Shooting: The Sniper Skin SS3 was a huge upgrade from the Blade Wrap I used before, I no longer had issues shooting and I wasn’t whiffing all of my shots far right. This tape replacement product performed just like the tape it was meant to replace. The only time it had an effect on my game was at the end of its lifespan, but tape will also do that if it gets bunched up. 10/10

Stickhandling & Passing: I didn’t notice an changes to my game while using the SS3 wrap in terms of stickhandling and passing. 10/10

Durability: This section is where the SS3 and the previous Blade Wrap switch scores. After about 5 hours of ice the Sniper Skin SS3 wrap was beat up pretty badly, to the point that it started tearing on the edges and a hole formed directly in the middle of the blade which edged up bunching the material up in a clump right on the playing area of the blade. Now, this can also happen with tape and I completely understand that. But unlike tape I couldn’t just rip off the bunched up piece and keep playing, if I were to rip a part of the SS3 wrap off it would end up removing the entire wrap and leaving me with a tapeless blade in the middle of the game. After the game I had to fully tear the SS3 off my stick and thus effectively got 4.5 hours of use out of it. 3/10

Summary: The Sniper Skin SS3 is a HUGE improvement in performance and aesthetics (that doesn’t really matter to me though) over the previous more plasticy version, but lasting under 5 hours was pretty disappointing. At $14.99 + shipping I would be very disappointed if my purchase was already worn out in such a short period of time. While I understand I might have to re-tape my stick after a game, that is something that doesn’t cost anywhere near $15 for 5 skates. My other issue is the convenience part, because you have to boil water to apply the SS3 to your stick you must set out a time to do so before actually playing. While that is in theory easy, everyone forgets and because I won’t be bringing a kettle into my hockey bag I can’t put the SS3 wrap on before or in between games. 5/10

Note: Sniper Skin informed me that they have Junior A players that have used the SS3 for over 10 hours without anywhere near the wear and tear that was on my wrap. While I wouldn’t purchase another wrap I wouldn’t tell anyone not to. If you hate taping your sticks or perhaps are younger and less demanding on them perhaps this will be a useful product for you.

ArKlpJB.jpg

mPrlgzU.jpg
Not a lot of damage to the back.

oTFXw8V.jpg
The bunched up material on the front.

qED3f59.jpg
Where the front hole started.

LP4lw1J.jpg
Top of the wrap, shows up the bunched up material.

lpmNrap.jpg
Lots of wear on the toe.

jcOQbBc.jpg

PWLKQDJ.jpg
Heel was splitting as well.

mCBHhjA.jpg
Another look at the heel.

3DtPdYF.jpg
More blade rips.

jS97hTo.jpg
More blade rips.

cvuhUam.jpg