Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt42

Inline to Ice Conversion

I came across the Alkali RPE's and the fit of them sounds just about perfect on paper, but there's one problem...RPE's are inline, and I play ice. I've heard about ice hockey skates being converted to roller but was wondering if anyone has used an inline skate converted to ice. Are there any drawbacks to using inline boots on ice and is there a way to order them with just the boot? Thanks:biggrin:

It can be done, and some of the additional features on the inline skate are designed to take more wear (those pads near the balls of your foot).

There are certain things to consider though, as its not as straight forward. I think you need to ensure that the holders and steel are mounted straight (not sure of the terminology). This will prevent the steel from snapping, as opposed to the inline frame being mounted as its already a rigid frame compared to just the ice holders.

It has come up several times since Alkali was founded. Linking to a thread where the others are referenced.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69197-need-to-replace-mission-pure-l7-most-similar-fit/&do=findComment&comment=1045352

I'm thinking of doing the same, with RPE's or RPD's. Have a spare pair of Pitch3's ready to put on them, just need the boots.

So as long as the holders are aligned correctly there shouldn't be any problems with durability or anything like that? Also does anyone know how the stiffness of the visium's or zenith compare to RBZ's?

@Justin 1933 has had several top of the line Alkali's converted to ice and some of the pictures he's posted of them show solid wear. If the holder installation is done by a reputable shop, it should be all good. Don't know about the specs on Visium or Zenith. Haven't seen them in person yet. I wanted to check them out while I'm in Minneapolis, but I can't find anywhere that stocks them here.