Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
proth0303

Shock Doctor Core Comp Performance Grip Hockey Shirt

I'm a 6'0", 185 lbs, 40 year old newbie, with a chiseled stomach (chiseled in the shape of a beer keg).  I went to my LHS for complete outfitting with gear and they had the Shock Doctor Core Comp Performance Grip hockey shirt on the rack.  I knew I wanted something between my protective gear and my skin but had no idea how much of a PITA it might be trying to keep the elbow pads from slipping down.  While the grip material and the Sleeve Lock design seemed a little gimmicky, I decided to give it a shot and spent the $50 on an adult large.

Fit:  The shirt is indeed a compression fit which highlights every chiseled feature of my beer belly.  I normally wear a large size shirt and while the Shock Doctor shirt feels quite snug, it fits as it should given the length of the arms and torso.  One thing I really like is the collar is large around the neck which makes it so I hardly notice I have the undershirt on (unlike a shirt that is a little tighter in the neck area).

Protection:  This doesn't necessarily apply in terms of impact protection; however, I have had zero issues with any sort of rubbing/chafing of pads and pants.    

Weight:  The material of the shirt is very lightweight and doesn't hold much sweat.  

Durability:  Even though I'm a newbie, I've been playing 3-4 times per week for the past 3 months (I wash the shirt after every session) and it still looks like new!  I was concerned that the Sleeve Lock would stretch out after time but this has not been the case.

Intangibles:  The most impressive feature of the shirt is the Sleeve Lock.  It does a fantastic job of keeping the elbow pads in place and I'm extremely happy with the durability of this feature.  

Conclusion:  While not the most flattering shirt I've ever worn in my life, it is by far the most functional.  The Sleeve Lock really is a great feature and I can't imagine ever playing without it! 

Final Rating:  10/10