Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
fastmiele

Methot traded to Dallas Stars

56 minutes ago, fastmiele said:

Vegas trades Methot to Dallas Stars for a 2020 second round pick. A 2nd round pick in 3 years ? Seems to me Vegas didn't get good offers and this was the best one they were got.

http://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-trade-methot-to-stars-1.789754

...well, they also got high prospect goalie. But yeah. Did not see that coming.

Edited by Kgbeast

11 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

...well, they also got high prospect goalie. But yeah. Did not see that coming.

That's a bit of a stretch, eh ha? That being said, Vegas was expected to move Methot after the expansion draft. Given that he has a 10-team NTC, the deal seems pretty reasonable on both ends.

3 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

That's a bit of a stretch, eh ha? That being said, Vegas was expected to move Methot after the expansion draft. Given that he has a 10-team NTC, the deal seems pretty reasonable on both ends.

It is pretty hard with goalies. Ferguson is not a prodigy, but is 3rd in WHL with saving percentage (922) which is pretty good out of a couple of dozen other goalies in the league. Even 194th pick is not that bad for a goalie. His NHL ranking is 8 out of 31 for NA which I think is pretty high.   

7 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

It is pretty hard with goalies. Ferguson is not a prodigy, but is 3rd in WHL with saving percentage (922) which is pretty good out of a couple of dozen other goalies in the league. Even 194th pick is not that bad for a goalie. His NHL ranking is 8 out of 31 for NA which I think is pretty high.   

He was 20th out of 21 goalies selected in the draft. One of 2 goalies selected in the 7th. I have no idea who Ferguson is ha. All I know is if you are selected in the 7th round of any modern-day NHL draft, you're not considered a 'high' prospect. He may surprise us all. I wouldn't hold my breath.

14 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Something here doesn't make sense. I think Vegas and Ottawa both played hard ball and got short of what they hoped for.

In hindsight, If Ottawa was offered the opportunity to protect key players such as Methot for a 2nd round pick (which is basically what Vegas got) now I am sure they would jumped on it.

Now, Ottawa loses Methot and Vegas has to wait 3 years for the opportunity to use their draft pick.

I agree with your OTT point. As with Vegas, we have to remember that it is a new franchise. Mgmt should be as focused on now as it should be on the future. While the pick isn't till 2020, I'm sure McPhee and his people knew that the could get a 'flip-able' player. I don't know if Vegas ever had any intention of keeping him. So to get a 2nd draft pick for a 32 year old defensive d-man isn't too bad. At least that's how I see it. 

I like Methot. Great D man when paired with a more offensive partner. This deal shows that, despite McPhee lip service, Vegas is in a 2 year "Tank" mode. After all, they said they wanted to win the Cup in 6 years, not make the playoffs in the first 5.

15 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I agree with your OTT point. As with Vegas, we have to remember that it is a new franchise. Mgmt should be as focused on now as it should be on the future. While the pick isn't till 2020, I'm sure McPhee and his people knew that the could get a 'flip-able' player. I don't know if Vegas ever had any intention of keeping him. So to get a 2nd draft pick for a 32 year old defensive d-man isn't too bad. At least that's how I see it. 

The one thing going for your argument is that some scouts say that the 2019 and 2020 will be deep.

on another note, reports are that Vegas did not ask for a 1st round pick from Ottawa for protecting key players.