Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlird808

Feet are killing me...do I have flat or medium arches? [Pics inside]

On 7/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, Jgscenter said:

I'm a medium arch and I'm looking to go more neutral in position so I think Speedplates will be a good fit. 

Review continued...

I hate the Speedplates 

I'm going back to superfeet 

he was right 

they came up to high on the sides of my feet and interfered with my foot sitting flat on the bottom of the skate. 

Maybe they work fine in Bauer but I wouldn't recommend them in a CCM

now to sell them

Judging from the photo, it looks like you have a similar foot type to mine, and I've pretty much always had pain issues in skates. Right now I'm in Reebok/CCM Ribcores in EE width and they're OK. I will point out two things I've noticed:

1.) What I've experienced is if I'm skating often (I'd say 2+ times a week), I experience less pain than when I skate once a week or less. I dunno if my feet just need to be "in shape" (for lack of a better term) or what but this is what I've noticed. The pain I have feels similar to a cramp so I'm thinking it's just the foot muscles needing to get a work out.

2.) Try tying your skates looser in the forefoot, then fairly tight around the ankle. This may only work with the Ribcores since it's a relatively flexible skate but it's worth a try. I haven't skated in the nearly all composite boots that Bauer makes so it may not be as effective.

Another option I'm considering is to have a custom orthodic insole made for me. This may not work in your area, fortunately I live in MN and hockey specific insoles are available. I think you can find places online that can do it, but I'd be weary of that.

I will say, the move to stiffer boots in skates has made it tougher for people with this foot type I think. I get the protection side of it, but I'd like a more flexible option. Ribcores came the closest to the old Tacks feel for me, so I'm sticking with them until a competitor comes along.

Just an update...properly baked Bauer Nexus D's (not EE's) have made a significant difference, and I'm noticing some help from both Superfeet Yellows & Speedplates (but in different ways).

I still have a bit of pain in my inner mid-foot/arches though and am curious to try other insoles, maybe even some with a bit more padding underneath.

I'm also actually thinking about spot heating the inner arch on the skates with a hairdryner/heatgun and just pushing them out....like this:

Thanks for all the help!