Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jlird808

What/when to eat/drink before a game for most energy?

On 11/14/2017 at 9:50 AM, RickDC said:

...It might be best to keep a log of what you did, and how you feel during a game.. 

I know that this post is from 2017.  But, this is the answer for YOU.  Feel free to try any of the varied suggestions above, but if you want to really know how any of it works or effects your performance, make notes of what you ate before, and how you felt during and after the game.  Little spiral notepad in your gear bag would work.  

I always try to aim for 2 things for energy: 1) be hydrated, 2) have protein/fatty meals.

1) Be hydrated: If you can, try and make sure you're hydrated at least 2 days before your ice time and stay that way. If you aren't, this is a good time to start. If you're playing catch up and you don't have 48 hours, something like Gatorade, Powerade (sodium & electrolytes) will help. I definitely notice a difference in energy when I'm not hydrated as well -- even day to day in the same shape.

2) Protein/fatty meals: Your body should primarily fuel off of protein and fats. Grab you a handful of peanuts, have some tuna and avocado, chicken -- anything to load you up with proteins and ideally healthy fats. For those less aware, mono- and polyunsaturated fats are what you want.

I hope this helps! I'm 37 myself and this has worked pretty well for me.