Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey96

Stretching

I was wondering how everyone stretches before the game or during warm-ups? And if there is a "proper" way to strecth. I made a search and there wasnt anything really over game preperations or stretching. :ph34r:

I really couldn't tell you any specific "proper" stretches although I have my certain few that I do before a game basically involving my knees, shoulders, and lower back.

One thing that I've heard (from a long-distance runner) is to NEVER stretch a "cold" muscle. Before stretching, always get your blood flowing first whether it be by running in place, jumping jacks, or even taking a few laps around the rink.

Some recent studies have shown that you actually perform worse and are more likely to be injured if you stretch before a game/event... They found that it was better to just get your heart rate up and your muscles loose, as opposed to concentrated stretching..

That's not to say that stretching isn't good. It is. Flexibility will help your skating posture and will prevent pulled muscles. Just do it in your off-ice training instead of before games.

you can pull things if, like was said, you stretch out cold muscles. I always do a few laps then stretch. I'm a freak though, I do full splits and back bridges to stretch myself out.

it's a better idea to do some joint mobility drills, ie. arm circle, swings, to lubricate the joints and get your muscles loose, I would keep stretching to a minimum, endboards has the right idea.

The gym where I work out has one of these machines:

all_stt-240.jpg

It's made by Precor and really helps the quality of your stretches.. I've never been very flexible, but 10 minutes on this machine after every workout has made me 10x more limber than I always had been..

And exactly like the other guys are saying - I can tell that the flexibility has helped my game. I never get pulled muscles, I can take wide stances and still have good mobility, and I can really push the envelope on my skating stride... It really does make a big difference and should be incorporated in your off-ice training..

Was perusing Peter Twist's book on conditioning for hockey last month. In it he says a few things that make a lot of sense (and have been pointed out above)...

1) Stretching cold muscles is bad bad bad. It can lead to a buildup of unflexible scar tissue

2) A relaxed, stretched muscle will move through its range of motion faster (faster contraction and faster relaxation), so relaxed/stretched muscle mass is a good thing.

3) If you're pushed for time before a game, it's better to get the muscle warmed up than stretched. You will perform better than if you were cold.

For the past month or so, I've been forgoing the "take shots at the goalie" portion of the pregame warmup in favour of gradually harder laps until I break a bit of a sweat, then I relax into a few light stretches.

One of the key points that is made in the book is that stretches have to be very gentle, just to relax the muscle out. If you're going for a forced deep stretch, your muscle will actually contract, doing you absolutely no good, and potentially some harm.

Of course, this is all second-hand info, but I thought I'd pass it on. I've found an improvement in my skating from it, but then again, maybe I just miraculously got better (at my age, doubtful...I'm supposed to be on the downslope!)

1)  Stretching cold muscles is bad bad bad.  It can lead to a buildup of unflexible scar tissue

exactly, forcing a stretch causes tears in the muscle tissue which leads to scare tissue and chronic inflexibility, that is why it is generally better to avoid stretching. BTW, I own that book and I highly recommend it to hockey players of any age.

I always stretch, I find if I don't I am really tight and it makes playing much harder, but you do have to make sure you are warm when you do it, and you don't hold for too long.

Was perusing Peter Twist's book on conditioning for hockey last month.  In it he says a few things that make a lot of sense (and have been pointed out above)...

1)  Stretching cold muscles is bad bad bad.  It can lead to a buildup of unflexible scar tissue

2)  A relaxed, stretched muscle will move through its range of motion faster (faster contraction and faster relaxation), so relaxed/stretched muscle mass is a good thing.

3)  If you're pushed for time before a game, it's better to get the muscle warmed up than stretched.  You will perform better than if you were cold.

For the past month or so, I've been forgoing the "take shots at the goalie" portion of the pregame warmup in favour of gradually harder laps until I break a bit of a sweat, then I relax into a few light stretches. 

One of the key points that is made in the book is that stretches have to be very gentle, just to relax the muscle out.  If you're going for a forced deep stretch, your muscle will actually contract, doing you absolutely no good, and potentially some harm.

Of course, this is all second-hand info, but I thought I'd pass it on.  I've found an improvement in my skating from it, but then again, maybe I just miraculously got better (at my age, doubtful...I'm supposed to be on the downslope!)

I think we have read the same book. Twist got good as Theo did too.