Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nhockey

Role of Center in the Defensive Zone

55 minutes ago, chk hrd said:

The sad thing is that no matter how many times you explain it and how many times they see it work for blocking shots, picking up loose pucks or getting breakaways out of it players still refuse to try it and go back to the wing on the board face off.

See my post further up thread.  I was told by my captain that I would sit if I did it again, even though it worked perfectly and we even scored a goal off of it.  As we've said, beer league guys have been playing a certain way for so long that they won't change, no matter how much better a different way will work.  It's what they know, and they don't want to either have to learn something new or feel like they don't know what to do.

The super bowl and then a pair of pretty rough snowstorms postponed my games until last night. I took the suggestions in the thread on the ice and I feel like it was my best game to date. The d-man and I weren't frequently on the ice together but when we were I think we clicked ok. I just took the suggestions in this thread and ran with it. Of the 6 goals they scored against us, none were scored while I was on the ice. Probably purely coincidental and meaningless  but I felt like I  made a defensive difference.

On turnovers I tried to just hustle out to the blue line and get open to receive a break out pass. It never happened but I don't think it was due to improper positioning on my part.

On another note, I picked up a new stick with a different curve than my original stick (True, one of their toe curves) and I really like that stick! I was able to lift the puck pretty much on command and occasionally was able to flex the stick pretty well on some of my wristers. No goals, but I don't think I sent any muffins, either!

Good times - thanks for the feedback!