Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bulldog21

Heat Molding CCM Super Tacks

I recently purchased online a pair of 2017 CCM Super Tacks skates.  I have a few questions about heat-molding (baking) these skates.  I want to use a hockey shop that has a skate oven and experience; all sell my same skate but one pro-shop charges $35 for fitting, another part of a hockey chain is $20 and one that will do for free after paying for a sharpening.

Is there much variability or skill needed in heat-molding these one-piece CCM skates that would warrant choosing one hockey shop over another?

Should I lace the skates myself to assure correct tension and tightening angle to avoid strain on eyelets? (or is this concern a thing of the older generation skate molding?)

Any tricks or tips to watch for (and make sure are done) if I have the hockey shop do everything? 

Thank you in advance

2 hours ago, Bulldog21 said:

I recently purchased online a pair of 2017 CCM Super Tacks skates.  I have a few questions about heat-molding (baking) these skates.  I want to use a hockey shop that has a skate oven and experience; all sell my same skate but one pro-shop charges $35 for fitting, another part of a hockey chain is $20 and one that will do for free after paying for a sharpening.

Is there much variability or skill needed in heat-molding these one-piece CCM skates that would warrant choosing one hockey shop over another?

Should I lace the skates myself to assure correct tension and tightening angle to avoid strain on eyelets? (or is this concern a thing of the older generation skate molding?)

Any tricks or tips to watch for (and make sure are done) if I have the hockey shop do everything? 

Thank you in advance

IMHO, I think it's more about the person who's helping you at the shop vs the shop itself.  I've had skates baked at the same shop by different reps, and some do it better than others (though never had a bad one luckily)

Lace technique/tension does matter, but if you're really worried about it being done right, you can certainly lace yourself.  The one thing I usually request, and never is a problem, is for the skates to be baked and put on one at a time.  That way the skates get on your foot when they are at their best malleability.   But it's not the end of the world if you get both skates out of the oven at the same time.  Also nice to have an extra set of hands to help wrap the skates around your foot as they mould.

• Like 1