Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Jbear

Stepsteel Install?

Hey All, 

Quick question...installed Blacksteels on a pair of AS1's today and going to try them out at a public session in a bit.   Before I take them to my practices and games this week...should I get some blue Loctite for the mounting screws? The holders are SB +4.O.

Appreciative in advance! 

Since the screws come with blue on them I assume it's a good idea.

I like sharp steel all the time.... I rotate three sets of steel on my SB +4.0's and I clean the threads and use blue Loctite every time I change them out at home (once every 9 days or so/ <10hrs of use).

But I have also swapped blades in the locker room 5min into a drop-in because they didn't feel sharp/grip enough and I didn't worry about reapplying the Loctite. All was fine.

I recently picked up a 1/2 dozen extra screws... changing steel as much as I do has to weaken them some. I snapped a bolt while skating and didn't know until I changed the steel that night. It never fell out even with nothing holding it in the holder.

& as to why I do this.... There is only one person at our rink that does a semi decent sharpening, not knowing when I can catch him working, I always have sharp backup steel if needed until I can find him working again.

• Like 1

Cool...good to know!  I really enjoyed skating on them today...there was zero transition time. They felt great the second I stepped onto the ice.