Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
value77

Pain at the a ankle(above it)

When I am skating I am feeling a pain at the left and right side of my ankles, also after skating when I am presssing on the sides. Also I have pain in the front over the ankle, it is also a little bit rubbed.(same thing on both ankles) My skates are the Bauer Vapor speed TI.

I am not sure whats causing this. Wrong skates, do I bind them wrong...? 

I hope you are having some tips for me or a solution. 

Edited by value77

Pain in the front over the ankle could be lace bite.

Pain on the sides could be due to a variety of things. You have this ankle pain on one of your feet, but not the other, is that right?

39 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Pain in the front over the ankle could be lace bite.

Pain on the sides could be due to a variety of things. You have this ankle pain on one of your feet, but not the other, is that right?

I am having the same pain at both feets.

How can I prevent the "lace bite"?

Edited by value77
added question

11 hours ago, value77 said:

I am having the same pain at both feets.

How can I prevent the "lace bite"?

What is your regular shoe size (dress shoe or athletic shoe)?

What is your skate size?

9 hours ago, caveman27 said:

What is your regular shoe size (dress shoe or athletic shoe)?

What is your skate size?

My nike freerun are having a size of 45 (29cm)

And my Hockey Skates (Bauer speed TI) 45.5EUR 11US and UK10.5

My feetlength is about to 29-29.4cm

1 hour ago, value77 said:

My nike freerun are having a size of 45 (29cm)

And my Hockey Skates (Bauer speed TI) 45.5EUR 11US and UK10.5

My feetlength is about to 29-29.4cm

With ice skates, you usually go down 1 to 1.5 sizes from your shoe to your skate size. So if your shoe size is US 12 or 11.5 (euro size 45), then you would usually get a skate size of US 11 or 10.5. There's also skate width to put into consideration to get a good fit. I'm guessing the boot is a bit too big and you have some movement of your leg, ankle and foot inside the boot while the skates are tied up.

Edited by caveman27

On 1/19/2020 at 11:14 AM, value77 said:

Wrong skates, do I bind them wrong...? 

When you tie up the skates, you start at the bottom and tighten them at each pair of eyelets until you get to the top. Don't tie them loosely like street shoes. It will almost be like a cast or ski boot. If these are new skates, you could opt to not tie it at the very last top two eyelets until the skates are broken in.

8 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

With ice skates, you usually go down 1 to 1.5 sizes from your shoe to your skate size. So if your shoe size is US 12 or 11.5 (euro size 45), then you would usually get a skate size of US 11 or 10.5. There's also skate width to put into consideration to get a good fit. I'm guessing the boot is a bit too big and you have some movement of your leg, ankle and foot inside the boot while the skates are tied up.

so the only solution is to buy other skates?

1 hour ago, value77 said:

so the only solution is to buy other skates?

Depends. Are your skates loose fitting even when tightened? Doesn't sound like you have issues in the fore-foot or heel areas of the skate. It would probably be good to have someone who is a skater/hockey player see if the skates fit you properly or not.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:14 AM, value77 said:

When I am skating I am feeling a pain at the left and right side of my ankles, also after skating when I am presssing on the sides. Also I have pain in the front over the ankle, it is also a little bit rubbed.(same thing on both ankles) My skates are the Bauer Vapor speed TI.

I am not sure whats causing this. Wrong skates, do I bind them wrong...? 

I hope you are having some tips for me or a solution. 

Pain where? Can you post a picture of your foot showing where the pain is? It's either poor fitting skates, wrong foot shape for the skate you are in or poor bio mechanics (or a combination of any of these).

and doing them up tight so they are like a ski boot isn't the answer.

Edited by Vet88

12 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Pain where? Can you post a picture of your foot showing where the pain is? It's either poor fitting skates, wrong foot shape for the skate you are in or poor bio mechanics (or a combination of any of these).

Or maybe what I meant to say was, that they aren't tightened up loosely like a pair of hiking boots worn for fashion purposes, and not for hiking.

6 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Or maybe what I meant to say was, that they aren't tightened up loosely like a pair of hiking boots worn for fashion purposes, and not for hiking.

The looser the boots are tied the less pain the skater will have, it's the constriction / pressure points that cause the pain. But most skaters can't handle the instability and do not have the desire to train hard enough to learn to skate with loose laces therefore remedial work is needed on skates to get them to fit the shape of the foot.

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The looser the boots are tied the less pain the skater will have, it's the constriction / pressure points that cause the pain. But most skaters can't handle the instability and do not have the desire to train hard enough to learn to skate with loose laces therefore remedial work is needed on skates to get them to fit the shape of the foot.

Well, some people don't know how loose or tight to lace up skates. I tighten mine as tight as possible with my hands. I want my ankle locked back in the boot.

11 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The picture in the middle(See spoiler) is a lace bite the other two on the side can be caused by other stuff too. They hurt when I press on this area,

Spoiler

UE0huzQ.jpgZeILXPL.jpgI6xlVMA.jpg

4 hours ago, value77 said:

The picture in the middle(See spoiler) is a lace bite the other two on the side can be caused by other stuff too. They hurt when I press on this area,

The pain on the side is caused by the top of the boot digging into your leg. Based on the following, I don't think the pain in the front is lace bite but is caused by your foot leveraging against the tongue as it flops up and down in the boot. You wear size 45eur and the boot is size 45.5eur. Hockey boots are not sized the same as street shoes, they are sized differently. A 45.5 eur sized hockey boot is equivalent to a 47eur sized shoe (rough estimate). So these boots are too big for you by approximately 1.5 to 2 sizes (depending on how you wear your street shoes). Here is a simple test: take the laces out of the boot, pull the tongue right out, slide your foot into the boot and push it forward until the toes just brush the toe cap. Now bend forward slightly in the boot and see if you can fit a pencil down between the back of your heel and the boot. If you can fit a pencil down there then the boots are at least a size to big, the ideal gap is 1mm - 2mm.. You can't fix this, sell the boots and buy some that fit you correctly for length. This doesn't mean the fit is going to be correct as you also need to think about width, volume and overall fit but getting the right length is at least a start. You either need to really understand what you are trying to buy if buying online or you need to get to a shop to try boots on.

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The pain on the side is caused by the top of the boot digging into your leg. Based on the following, I don't think the pain in the front is lace bite but is caused by your foot leveraging against the tongue as it flops up and down in the boot. You wear size 45eur and the boot is size 45.5eur. Hockey boots are not sized the same as street shoes, they are sized differently. A 45.5 eur sized hockey boot is equivalent to a 47eur sized shoe (rough estimate). So these boots are too big for you by approximately 1.5 to 2 sizes (depending on how you wear your street shoes). Here is a simple test: take the laces out of the boot, pull the tongue right out, slide your foot into the boot and push it forward until the toes just brush the toe cap. Now bend forward slightly in the boot and see if you can fit a pencil down between the back of your heel and the boot. If you can fit a pencil down there then the boots are at least a size to big, the ideal gap is 1mm - 2mm.. You can't fix this, sell the boots and buy some that fit you correctly for length. This doesn't mean the fit is going to be correct as you also need to think about width, volume and overall fit but getting the right length is at least a start. You either need to really understand what you are trying to buy if buying online or you need to get to a shop to try boots on.

thanks I will go to an hockey store soon I hope they are having professional knowledge. Is there any way I know which width I need or should I feel this when I try on the skates?

Ask if they have a Brannock or some other foot measuring device. This should give them the width of your foot and therefore the appropriate width boot you should go in. Another more simplistic way is to take out the footbed and put your foot on it, if your foot spills out over the sides then the boot is most likely to narrow. However this isn't a great measure as often the footbeds aren't exactly to the shape of the boot. Another simple test I use is after you have laced them up and worn them around the shop for a few minutes to see how they feel, undo them and pull the laces right out. You should be able to lift your foot and move it around and the boot shouldn't fall off your foot. If you trying the Bauer range, the Vapour is the narrowest fit, then Supreme and then Nexus with the biggest all round fit. Don't buy a bigger boot to solve one tight fitting area, if the heel fits good but the forefoot is tight then get the boot stretched (see following). If the boot is bakeable and you find you have sore spots when you skate, the boot can be punched or stretched. Ask them that if the boot is too narrow or has hot spots after you skate in them that they will punch / stretch the boot for you for free.

Do some research as to how a boot should fit you, there is lots of info here and on the web. For example look at this for an understanding of the different boot shapes and models and cost https://beerleaguetips.com/article/hockey-skate-lineup-comparison/

Edited by Vet88