Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Borsch

Avangard Are European Club Cup Champions!

European Club Champions Cup has finished yeasterday with Omsk team the winner. On their way to glory they have trounced Slovakian champions Dukla 6-1 and Swedish champions HV71 9-0 (not a missprint :unsure: :D ). Avangard's Maxim Sushinsky ("Su33" "istrebitel'(the fighter jet)") has racked up 7 (4+3) points in just 3 games and got prizes for being the best forward and best goalscorer of the tournament. Jagr was instrumental in the final however, superbly assisting on a game tying goal and scoring the game (the cup) winner in OT(on a beautifull assist by Sushinsky). Avangard are currently fighting for the 8th final playoff spot in the Russian Superleague to try and defend their championship. (Although really they are one the 4 best teams in Russia(in my opinion): together with Dynamo, Metalurg and AK Bars )

So having watched the Shpengler cup (which Swiss Davos has won) and having compared russian teams to other "Europe's elite" I have to say, that russians play the most watchable hockey and really seem to be a class above other leagues/teams. Even in shpengler's cup where russian Magnitogorsk were participating they were clearly the best team with the best hockey and should have won. They were TREMENDOUSLY unlucky (hitting posts on about five occasions in a game against Davos, having outplayed them by far) and more in other games, very shaky galtending by Nabokov whos only just arrived for them, loss of players to junior championship (Malkin and Co), injuries to their captain and key center Karpov... Alexei Kaigorodov was (for me) the best player in shpengler's cup - HOW was he overlooked by NHL scouts is a mystery to me: powerfull agile skater and a tremendous playmaker...

It's also the highest paid league in the world right now. Usually talent goes where the money is.

Lot's of good players in the Swedish Elite League at present.... did I just say that????

Yeah, think its the wrong thread to mention Swedish Elite League ;) ;) :D only joking