Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Koopa

Cracking leather a problem?

So..a friend of mine has offered me their unworn 652 pump tacks from years gone by knowing I'm a total gear whore and il probably buy them. However, like a lot of skates from this era, the shiny leather outer trim by the eyelets and on the tendon guard is cracking. Does this make much difference to the durability and stiffness of the skate boot or is this really just a cosmetic issue given the shiny leather covering is a millimetre thick at best

What a good year for the 652 Tack skate !('99/'00)?...be aware that material failure is already showing..."unused" or "new" does not mean they are going  to be perfect. Synthetic materials and plastics do dry out and age over time...if still equipped with the Prolite holders...they might be getting dry and brittle as well...

Cheers and best luck eh!

5 hours ago, JBP said:

What a good year for the 652 Tack skate !('99/'00)?...be aware that material failure is already showing..."unused" or "new" does not mean they are going  to be perfect. Synthetic materials and plastics do dry out and age over time...if still equipped with the Prolite holders...they might be getting dry and brittle as well...

Cheers and best luck eh!

yeah the 99/00 model with the original heel wedge and white nylon material on the back. Pumps work and holders are solid. I just wasnt sure if the outer shiny black coating on the leather cracking would have any effect on the stiffness / support of the skate. I have a pair of 752 kevlars that these would be a great addition to!

these are the 652s 

s-l1600.jpg

my 752 kevlars

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Koopa
  • Like 2