Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pigbait

Help! Can anyone identify this machine

Hey guys/girls, I'm looking at possibly purchasing this older skate sharpening machines, owner says it need a new Dimond dresser. But he unfortunately doesn't know what make or model this machine is.. the price could  be worth it as long as  I can fix the Dimond dresser.

I'm hopeful someone here might be able to identify this old Beast.

ad-1646245660658.jpg

ad-1646246287107.jpg

2 hours ago, Pigbait said:

I'll look up these EZ Sharp.. I appreciate your response .

From looking at this do you think it's worth buying, I got him down below $100

On 3/2/2022 at 5:00 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

As long as the motor is good, seems like a good price to me

So Motor works good. And have a friend at a machine shop fixing the Dimond dressing tool. I found out it's a Fleming Gray machine. But I can't find anything on Google about this. The Old man I got it from says it's from the 70's approximately.

Anyone know how or if this machine I can adjust the hollow radius? I'm assuming it's by moving the Dimond dressing tool in or out?

46 minutes ago, Pigbait said:

Anyone know how or if this machine I can adjust the hollow radius? I'm assuming it's by moving the Dimond dressing tool in or out?

If you look at the EZ Sharp diamond, there is a yellow indicator line for guidance. There should be a few of those, the further you move the diamond from the wheel, the shallower the radius

4 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

If you look at the EZ Sharp diamond, there is a yellow indicator line for guidance. There should be a few of those, the further you move the diamond from the wheel, the shallower the radius

Sorry I forgot to put the pictures, unfortunately there aren't any markings.. I'm assuming this will be trial and error? I'm also guessing size of the wheel matters?PXL-20220304-210845792.jpgPXL-20220304-210929679.jpg

It looks like turning the diamond to move it in and out sets the radius. The larger thumb wheel should move the articulating arm closer to the wheel as you dress up and down on it. 

so, set the radius on the diamond, then move it towards the wheel until it starts dressing it

Ok, wow thanks.. you've clear it up.. I'll keep doing more Googling, but from my understanding moving the Dimond in and out is for the radius adjustment... Sucks because there aren't any markings so this will be guess work for me.  And the big thumb wheel is used for dressing as the wheel wears out correct?

Thanks a million for your time Buzz. I appreciate this very much

Correct, once your radius is set, move the diamond closer until you get a full dress. I would then make a habit of back ing it off some, or all the way so you dont ram the diamond into the wheel by mistake. Blademaster sells a radius gauge that would help you calibrate where you need the diamond to be for a certain hollow

4 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Correct, once your radius is set, move the diamond closer until you get a full dress. I would then make a habit of back ing it off some, or all the way so you dont ram the diamond into the wheel by mistake. Blademaster sells a radius gauge that would help you calibrate where you need the diamond to be for a certain hollow

Awesome.. man I'm so excited to try this out... Hopefully I don't ruin all my skates... Lol. I'll be doing practice rubs on old Junkers any how.

19 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Is this the correct tool? Also is there a tool to check the stones radius? Or do I need to check the skate blade once I cut? This looks like it does both?

rmt.jpg

Then yes, your gauges should get the job done with some degree of accuracy.

You'll probably want to replace that wheel right away, put some Kroil or similar on the screw for dressing, and Turtle Wax the table surface (on second look, maybe a wire wheel to knock that rust off, then a Turtle Wax polish)

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer

1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Then yes, your gauges should get the job done with some degree of accuracy.

You'll probably want to replace that wheel right away, put some Kroil or similar on the screw for dressing, and Turtle Wax the table surface (on second look, maybe a wire wheel to knock that rust off, then a Turtle Wax polish)

I've been looking at the ones from Fleming Gray, they have 6" just not sure what grit to go with.. I will be taking the entire machine apart. To clean it up.. fresh coat if paint and hopefully some new decals..  I wasn't aware Fleming Gray was still around. So I reached out to them to see if they might have some information on this relic...

32 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Might want to check the felt on the bottom of the holder as well. 

the Holder has a plastic phenolic and it looks in good shape. 

Guys again thank so much for the input..  this has been such a great experience.. most forum can be very hostile... 

Judging by the shape of the wheel that seems intended (or the way it’s been for quite some time). As long as you’ve got an edge checker and you maintain the radius in the center of the blade, you shouldn’t have an issue 

24 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Judging by the shape of the wheel that seems intended (or the way it’s been for quite some time). As long as you’ve got an edge checker and you maintain the radius in the center of the blade, you shouldn’t have an issue 

I guess using a straight edge will be the best way to find the center of the radius?

2 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I just ordered this from prosharp.ca, I hope I can figure this out.. if the kids at the store can do it.. I should be able to get this working... Just seems like information overload. Also what's the difference with grinding stone colours? white, pink, yellow, Blue?

Screenshot-20220322-211016.png