Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
clayman

Graf skate question..

I have a pair of Graf Ultra G9035 skates with the 75 flex. My question is what does 75 mean? Is that a stiffer boot or more flexible, or ??. I’ve tried searching for an answer but all I’ve found is it’s a flex rating, but compared to what? The 9035’s fit great but pretty darn stiff. 

I started playing in the mid 1970’s and took a long hiatus but am back at it again. I love the flexibility of my old Bauer SpecialPro 99’s but the newer skates are so much different then I was used to. I have a pair of Graf Supra 735’s as well but the toe box is a bit tight even after multiple attempts to punch it out but the skates seem to be a bit more old school, which I like. 

Any input appreciated, thanks in advance! 

Edited by clayman

It's the amount of force you needed to flex the boot forward thru the 3rd to 5th down eyelet area. Think of it as a wedge that runs from these eyelets to the bottom of the heel, this zone would flex differently to the rest of the boot so you got better forward bend in the boot. They came in 75 flex and 85 flex (if memory serves me right), the 75 flex is the slightly softer skate. This isn't related to the stiffness of the sidewalls of the boot, just the forward flex.

If I am wrong please jump in and correct me, this is all from memory as I never pulled the trigger on these as the foot shape was wrong for me.

22 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

It's the amount of force you needed to flex the boot forward thru the 3rd to 5th down eyelet area. Think of it as a wedge that runs from these eyelets to the bottom of the heel, this zone would flex differently to the rest of the boot so you got better forward bend in the boot. They came in 75 flex and 85 flex (if memory serves me right), the 75 flex is the slightly softer skate. This isn't related to the stiffness of the sidewalls of the boot, just the forward flex.

If I am wrong please jump in and correct me, this is all from memory as I never pulled the trigger on these as the foot shape was wrong for me.

That actually helps a lot, at least I know to what part they were referring to. I was hoping it referred to the stiffness of the sidewalks of the boot.  I love the fit of the Graf’s but no ankle movement like you used to get with the old full leather skates. I kept thinking I’d get used to them but not so much. 

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.