Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kendoc

Boot lean vs skate pitch

I tried some True Catalyst skates yesterday and loved the forward lean of the boot.  The skate was too big for me and had some hot spots so I will not be buying those skates, but I am looking for a similar forward lean in Bauer or CCM.

I want to differentiate the ankle flex/lean that I liked (because it encouraged knee flex and for me to get lower when skating) from pitch forward that can be modified with profiling the blade.  I don't want an upright boot with a pitched forward blade as I think it would push me off balance.  

Ski boots are a good example of what I am looking for...Advanced racing boots have a forward flex of the ankle, beginner boots are much more upright ankle.

I have seen a lot of posts about profiling but little about the forward lean of the boot.

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Kendoc said:

I tried some True Catalyst skates yesterday and loved the forward lean of the boot.  The skate was too big for me and had some hot spots so I will not be buying those skates, but I am looking for a similar forward lean in Bauer or CCM.

I want to differentiate the ankle flex/lean that I liked (because it encouraged knee flex and for me to get lower when skating) from pitch forward that can be modified with profiling the blade.  I don't want an upright boot with a pitched forward blade as I think it would push me off balance.  

Ski boots are a good example of what I am looking for...Advanced racing boots have a forward flex of the ankle, beginner boots are much more upright ankle.

I have seen a lot of posts about profiling but little about the forward lean of the boot.

Thanks 

I have not seen another skate with that same type of "lean" built into the boot that TRUE has. If you liked it, you are best to just go with custom TRUE skates. 

PBH I was hoping you would respond to this post…saw a lot of your comments about profiling and lifts on another thread.

I may try the cat 9 a half size smaller, but  am concerned about the struggle of getting the fit correct.  I am currently skating Bauer vapor 2x and the boot is quite comfortable (after baking 4 times over the course of 5 months when I first got the skate) but getting beat up and the runner has a rattle.   I was hoping Bauer would make a similar lean because I am confident I can get the fit to work.  Also interested in the ribcor because of the theoretical more flexible boot.

I don’t think my local shop makes a custom true skates.

thanks

4 hours ago, Kendoc said:

PBH I was hoping you would respond to this post…saw a lot of your comments about profiling and lifts on another thread.

I may try the cat 9 a half size smaller, but  am concerned about the struggle of getting the fit correct.  I am currently skating Bauer vapor 2x and the boot is quite comfortable (after baking 4 times over the course of 5 months when I first got the skate) but getting beat up and the runner has a rattle.   I was hoping Bauer would make a similar lean because I am confident I can get the fit to work.  Also interested in the ribcor because of the theoretical more flexible boot.

I don’t think my local shop makes a custom true skates.

thanks

If the size you tried on was too big, the size a half size down could also be too big. It sounds like a lot of people get good results buying a size that doesn't seem quite big enough until it gets baked. Baking gives a touch more room, and with such a precise fit the goal, that's all you usually need. If you go the Catalyst route, try on all the sizes around where you started: regular and wide, until you find out which ones are definitely too small. Hot spots are usually eliminated by baking True boots and can be spot treated if still present after baking.

Did you bake them when you tried them on? General wisdom on Trues is you find a size where foot can barely fit in the skate, then bake them, and they fit really well. 

However, you did say too big in some places and hot spots in others, so that can be a tough combo. 

I baked them and tried the cling wrap technique.  Maybe my cling wrap was too thin but I couldn't get a tight fit...may try the old fashioned way of cranking down on the laces and pushing in on the shell with my hands.  I bought a size 7 regular, which is what I wear in the vapors, in accordance with the "new" catalyst sizing which is supposed to be the same as Bauer/ccm.  

Good advice on trying multiple sizes...I can see if they have 6.5 and 6 regular.  I know I am not a wide.  A little embarrassing I am going down into the intermediate skates.  Feel like a child.  Anyway, I wear a 9 for my dress shoes and 9.5-10 for my athletic/running shoes as a reference.  I do like a tight fit for my heel and mid foot for my skates.

I do think the hot spot thing is solvable....my guess is that if I can get a tight fit in the foot I would get less rubbing and pressure in the ankle as I think me cranking the laces (in an attempt to get better fit in the foot) pinches in the top of the skate too much.  Need waxed laces too so I can keep the top a little looser and crank down on the foot.