Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dimpledballs

True bolt holder transition to XS holder and more

I recently broke one of my True gen 1 holders with the bolt lock on them and have decided to switch to the XS holders since the original holders are impossible to get anymore. I haven't been in the gear game since circa 2019 and I'm wondering what the best steel and profile to start with to experiment on the new holders. Back in the day Step blacksteel was the best steel but now I'm looking and there's a ton of aftermarket steel out there now. I've been using the stock step steel that came with my skates but now that I'm switching holders I'm interested in trying out other steel as well as profiles outside of the 10' stock. 

1. What's the consensus on the best steel for XS holders? I'm looking for longevity and quality. I typically sharpen every 3 months with 2 skates a week and use a 7/8'' ROH on 263 mm steel.  

2. The variety of profiling is even more expansive now, if I wanted to try out profiling, what should I start with?

3. Going from the gen 1 true holders to XS holders, I'm aware that the true holders put you on your toes more than other holders/steel, what's a good profile that replicates that feeling incase I can't get used to the flatter XS holder/steel?

Now that I'm doing my research again, it seems like steel/profiling is turning into a huge marketing cash cow with skates so it's pretty hard now to weed out all the marketing riff raff. I appreciate the help from everyone!

If you went from the first gen true holder and step steel combo that came with it, the xs holder and step steel combo shouldn't require mich adjustment. If you sharpened the step steel that came with the true skates as is and never profiled those, just do the same with xs holders with step steel. Not sure if step kept the same profile on their stock steel now as they did back then but if they have just get the xs hokders put on and add step steel, sharpen and off u go. Take it for a spin during a public skate and see how it feels. Shouldn't be that much of an adjustment. 

I went from Bauer to true with their true holders and step steel and didn't feel like there was much difference in the holders. I went from the true holders to the ccm sb 4.0 holders and didn't notice really any difference either. So I think you're fine with just getting the xs holder put on along with step steel. 

Step steel is still one of the best in the game. The only reason I'd recommend looking into anything different is if you wanted to try flare or bladetech steel which have different "performance" technology, but if you want something to simply replicate what you have now but just new holders, get what I suggested above 

Sidelineswap may also have the holders you're looking for in good condition as well.  What size holders do you need? Just quickly browsing, I saw 3+ listing for those holders for sale. I would even check out your local shop that sells true skates as they may have old inventory. 

https://unitedsport.ca/products/shop-true-senior-original-player-holder-edmonton-canada?variant=39526018482307

Edited by Sniper9

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

If you went from the first gen true holder and step steel combo that came with it, the xs holder and step steel combo shouldn't require mich adjustment. If you sharpened the step steel that came with the true skates as is and never profiled those, just do the same with xs holders with step steel. Not sure if step kept the same profile on their stock steel now as they did back then but if they have just get the xs hokders put on and add step steel, sharpen and off u go. Take it for a spin during a public skate and see how it feels. Shouldn't be that much of an adjustment. 

I went from Bauer to true with their true holders and step steel and didn't feel like there was much difference in the holders. I went from the true holders to the ccm sb 4.0 holders and didn't notice really any difference either. So I think you're fine with just getting the xs holder put on along with step steel. 

Step steel is still one of the best in the game. The only reason I'd recommend looking into anything different is if you wanted to try flare or bladetech steel which have different "performance" technology, but if you want something to simply replicate what you have now but just new holders, get what I suggested above 

Sidelineswap may also have the holders you're looking for in good condition as well.  What size holders do you need? Just quickly browsing, I saw 3+ listing for those holders for sale. I would even check out your local shop that sells true skates as they may have old inventory. 

https://unitedsport.ca/products/shop-true-senior-original-player-holder-edmonton-canada?variant=39526018482307

Aight, I'll probably check out some step black steel to add to the XS holders. Personally I feel like all of these performance technologies is minimal improvement and not worth the value and I'd rather just get solid high quality steel. Good to hear there shouldn't be that huge of an adjustment, I'm going to skate on them tonight without any practice/public skate so we'll find out I guess. 

Sidelineswap does have the true holders in 263 but I'm pinched for time because I have games coming up with no alternative skates so I ended up mounting some XS holders with XS1 steel which I'll have to replace soon with some Step. 

Side note, if anyone ever happens to require holder repairs in the Seattle area, there's pretty much only one guy does it located in Olympic View Arena hockey wolf. 

Ya def upgrade your xs1 steel to step and keep the ccm steel as an emergency backup

Let me know how you find the new setup vs your old true one

• Like 1