Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
caveman27

total shoulder replacement surgery

So, I got total shoulder replacement surgery a month ago, at the end of December. I got a modified procedure called the "ream and run shoulder replacement". It is similar to a regular total shoulder replacement. The ball end side of the humerus (upper arm bone) is cut off and a titanium stem is put inside it. But on the shoulder or glenoid side, they shave out a hemisphere shape out of the bone instead of putting a plastic piece there. The plus is that there are no restrictions of physical activity after the shoulder heals. In a normal total shoulder replacement, there are certain restrictions in order to avoid wearing out the plastic piece or breaking the plastic piece in the glenoid.

I got the procedure done out of town with an orthopedic surgeon in Virginia Beach, Virginia. So far, so good. The physical therapy exercises involves a lot of stretching. Since the glenoid was shaved out, it takes about a year and a half for a layer of fibrocartilege to regrow between the metal head of the humerus implant and the glenoid.

Slide02.jpg

This is my third major joint replacement surgery. I haven't played hockey or skated in awhile. Now, thinking long-term, I might want to stop playing ice hockey and try refereeing. As much as non-contact hockey isn't supposed to have any checking, there are times that you will get checked on purpose or accidentally... or just fall or run into the boards on your own without anyone even touching you. There's no casual pick-up hockey for old folks where I am. Once my shoulder is in better condition, I'll look into a level i refereeing class.

Edited by caveman27

Howdy,

Dang dude, that sounds pretty intense.  I've got a 'clean up' shoulder surgery scheduled in a couple weeks to address some tearing in the rotator cuff and a bicep tendon issue, but your procedure sounds WAY worse.

Reffing is definitely a nice way to stay involved and skate and such.  And while its still hockey and very occasionally you'll get run into, have a puck dumped into you, or just manage to fall on your own it for sure happens way less than playing.  For my procedure they're saying that I'll be in a sling for 4 to 6 weeks, then 2 to 4 months of rehab after that.  I'm hoping that I can at least get back out there reffing once I'm out of the sling!

Good luck with your recovery!

Mark

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:56 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Dang dude, that sounds pretty intense.  I've got a 'clean up' shoulder surgery scheduled in a couple weeks to address some tearing in the rotator cuff and a bicep tendon issue, but your procedure sounds WAY worse.

Reffing is definitely a nice way to stay involved and skate and such.  And while its still hockey and very occasionally you'll get run into, have a puck dumped into you, or just manage to fall on your own it for sure happens way less than playing.  For my procedure they're saying that I'll be in a sling for 4 to 6 weeks, then 2 to 4 months of rehab after that.  I'm hoping that I can at least get back out there reffing once I'm out of the sling!

Good luck with your recovery!

Mark

I've saw a ref get hit by a ricochet of a slap shot off someone's stick and right at his cup. No time to get out of the way or block it. This was a NCAA Div III men's game so it was a major clap bomb. He actually was able to get up and finish the game.

Yeah, I'm four weeks out, but there are certain angles where I have no strength in my arm yet, so I wear my sling when I''m out of the house, but i don't wear it anymore when I'm in the house. 

God luck with your surgery.