Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boo10

CCM FT4 Fit vs. Reebok 20K

I have a pair of Reebok 20K size 7.5D, which fit well for length and forefoot width, but slightly loose in the heel without using the pump.  The holder size is 271.

The CCM skate selector tool used to recommend a half size up from Reebok, which in my case would be 8R (271 holder).  Lately it has changed to recommending the same size as Reebok, which would be 7.5R (263 holder).

When in doubt, the old school method was to trust the holder size, but I'm not sure that's applicable anymore.  I'm also wondering about the forefoot width of the FT4 R vs. 20K D.

I can't try them on because of low inventory levels.  I have to order online from a city 5 hours away (Crazy in itself because I live in the world's largest hockey market).

Looking for any insight or opinions.

I have a normal shaped foot with a slightly wide forefoot. I usually wear 9.5 in everyday shoes.

For what it's worth, I wore 7.5D in 11Ks and 50Ks and wear 8EE in Supertacks AS1 and Jetspeed FT2, though I could of worn 8D. I just liked the EE for the extra comfort in the toe area.

If you're going to order online, do they offer free returns? If so, order multiple pairs and keep the ones that fit you best.

1 hour ago, Vuronov said:

I have a normal shaped foot with a slightly wide forefoot. I usually wear 9.5 in everyday shoes.

For what it's worth, I wore 7.5D in 11Ks and 50Ks and wear 8EE in Supertacks AS1 and Jetspeed FT2, though I could of worn 8D. I just liked the EE for the extra comfort in the toe area.

If you're going to order online, do they offer free returns? If so, order multiple pairs and keep the ones that fit you best.

Thanks for the info.  I ordered a pair of 8R, so hopefully they fit.  I have a pair of FT1 in 7.5D that were gifted to me, but they are a tad short and too narrow.

I think an 8R is a safe starting point but the new CCM fit system is a bit different than what we're used to with the old D EE sizings from CCM.

From what I've read the Tapered fit is closer to a traditional CCM D fit and has the least volume, the Regular fit is actually a bit closer to a EE but with additional volume all around, and the Wide is something kind of new as a high volume fit all around. So the new fits don't just refer to the width of boot but boot volume too. So depending on how wide your foot is and how little or much volume you like in your boot, there's an outside chance an 8 Tapered may feel better for you. 

Also, if you're looking at the new ASV Pro skates, they are bigger and more voluminous than previous skates per size. I tried a pair on and a 7.5R or maybe even a 7.5T would be my fit and the 8 would have been too big.

So in the end buying and trying and returning multiple skates may still be the best bet.

Edited by Vuronov

6 hours ago, Vuronov said:

I think an 8R is a safe starting point but the new CCM fit system is a bit different than what we're used to with the old D EE sizings from CCM.

From what I've read the Tapered fit is closer to a traditional CCM D fit and has the least volume, the Regular fit is actually a bit closer to a EE but with additional volume all around, and the Wide is something kind of new as a high volume fit all around. So the new fits don't just refer to the width of boot but boot volume too. So depending on how wide your foot is and how little or much volume you like in your boot, there's an outside chance an 8 Tapered may feel better for you. 

Also, if you're looking at the new ASV Pro skates, they are bigger and more voluminous than previous skates per size. I tried a pair on and a 7.5R or maybe even a 7.5T would be my fit and the 8 would have been too big.

So in the end buying and trying and returning multiple skates may still be the best bet.

8R FT4 showed up today and unbaked the fit is pretty much perfect.  If these don't change drastically after a bake, they'll be my glass slippers.  Length and width are very close to the 7.5D 20K. FT4 has a bit more depth than the 20K, which is what I expected.  I have a high instep, regular to slightly narrow heel, and a slightly wide forefoot. 

I did try the ASV and like you found that they fit longer and wider than the FT4.