Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gutta26

Setting blade width on CAG One Speed One for XC Blades

Hey everyone, first time posting here so I hope I’m doing this correctly.

I play for a low-level pro (if you can even call it that) team in Norway. I’ve been teaching myself to use the team’s CAG One Speed One sharpener because our EQM is new to sharpening and we’ve had some issues with sharpening quality so I feel more comfortable learning to do it myself. 

I recently acquired a set of XC Blade runners which have different widths at the toe, center, and heel. The stone can only be dressed with the single-point diamond and the instruction manual says to measure and set the blade width before dressing. However, I’m not sure what width to set it at with the XC Blades. Should I set it at the width in the center of the blade which is the narrowest? Or the width of the heel which is the widest? Will setting the width incorrectly while dressing the stone have that much impact on the sharpening? The XC Blade website says they can be sharpened just like any other set of runners and they have an instructional video with a Pro Sharp machine, but nothing related to what I’m trying to figure out about the width setting on the CAG One.

Also, the single-point diamond on the machine has been worn flat and looks like it’s down to the metal. I’m assuming it needs to be changed and our EQM just doesn’t know this? 

thanks in advance!

I may be wrong here, as its been 5+ years since i owned a Cag machine, but i would set it to the width of the unmodified steel, as the width differences would be symmetrical, and the point of engagements that hold the blade in would be above where the width differences are, would they not?

Buzz is right here in setting it to a normal skate blade width (so the skinny part). I sharpen mine with Sparx and it works perfectly.