Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
eurodin

Bauer Supreme -> True Catalyst 7 =Forward Pitch Hockey Skates=

What does everyone think of the True skate forward lean/pitch?

I just picked up True Catalyst 7s. After one full game of re-learning how to skate and it being a disaster, I realized I need to keep my knees very bent and put the weight on my balls/toes. Game 2 and Game 3 went well and I am back to playing normally. They do feel sharper on 5/8th vs. the Supremes: I have a sparx and anal about my sharpenings. More weight on the front does help my edge work, I would say this is the only positive. The Catalysts also feel a bit heavy.

The skate iself is comfortable. I do find there is too much gel inside and it feels like a ski boot. I am also wondering if there is long term effect of knee pain having to learn forward so much at the ankle/knee.

I also have lace bite for the first time because I presume the more forward pitch. I never previoulsy suffered from lace bite in the last 25 years on Bauer Supreme. I am flat footed, wide front, narrow rear, but 8D Supremes worked just fine for my whole life.  

I keep my skates for 300 games / 6 years. Thought I would give True a try, but I am an impass in terms if I should suck this up for 5 years or eat my loss and go get a new pair of M4.  

From Reddit: 

r/hockeyplayers : My Initial True Skate Experience and Seeking Advice

roben85

On the ice, I'm not sure if it's the holder, boot or the radius steel but I felt like I was very much leaning forward. Had some balancing issues pivoting and turning and mostly felt like I was stuck to the ice when flat on the blade and falling over when on the toes. The Supremes are light and airy and I can almost figure skate with them. The Trues felt like I was in 2 feet of snow when trying to move around but the glide was unreal...one push and I could go end to end on the rink. I had a 9/16 hollow and just changed to a 3/4 to see if that helps with the agility. When I tried to stop my 9/16th felt like a 3/8ths. If this doesn't help I'm going to go to Tuuk and match what I have on my Supremes.

I never had issues switching between Supremes, as1s, and trues. I found the biggest adjustment was the feel and flex of the boot between the different skates vs how my edges and steel were. I always used the same profile though. 

The thing about trues is that you will never feel nimble in them. They are for comfort and their one piece boots allows for better edge feel. If you're looking for a lighter more agile skate, it won't be in a true skate. 

As for lace bite. Try not tightening the laces so much. Or skip the top eyelet, or skip the eyelet in the area where you're getting the pinch so that area doesn't have so much pressure. Also the cat 7 has a felt tongue. The felt tongue didn't go well for me for my catalyst pros. I've always used felt even with my true tf customs. But with the catalyst pro I had to use their molded tongue and that helped solve the pinching issue for me.

Lastly, doesn't true offer the 30 day money back fit guarantee?

Edited by Sniper9

True answered me back and told them to return them to the store. Got my money back.

Tried on the Supreme M5 Pro and they fit like a glove with minimal gel. Awesome skate feel. 

You need to play with bent knees I find with the True's. There is a bit of an adjustment period but once you figure it out, switching is ok. You just need to keep the knees constantly bent.

The jetspeed fit very very narrow. 

Edited by eurodin

7 hours ago, eurodin said:

True answered me back and told them to return them to the store. Got my money back.

Tried on the Supreme M5 Pro and they fit like a glove with minimal gel. Awesome skate feel. 

You need to play with bent knees I find with the True's. There is a bit of an adjustment period but once you figure it out, switching is ok. You just need to keep the knees constantly bent.

The jetspeed fit very very narrow. 

Having the trues being pitched differently has been talked about and most people dealt with this by swapping to tuuk holders or profiling. Glad the m5 pros worked for you. 

Edited by Sniper9