Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
rh71el2

Sudden foot pain (both feet)

SOLVED: medication side effect

What can cause the bottom of both feet to hurt suddenly (over a few sessions) after wearing the same skates for almost 2 years? I have 2 boys almost 16 and they've pretty much stayed the same size in the last year+.  No pain in sneakers doing basketball or off-ice running.   One of them has been in his Supreme 3S Pro skates for almost 2 years now and it's only started hurting in both feet in the last month or so.  I did the pencil test and he's still got room at his heel when feet are pushed forward.  I got him Superfeet "Hockey Cushion" (he doesn't have flat feet) and the next 2 sessions were ok, but then it started hurting again. I got him scanned yesterday on a Bauer machine and he's a size 6.0 fit 2.  The skates are a 6.0 fit 3.

My other son has skates less than 1 year old and says after about 20 minutes, especially if standing around at practice a lot, will start hurting.  He has flat feet and I'm going to have him try the Superfeet too but there's gotta be a simple explanation if the symptom is the same... both feet bottoms hurt.  Is that where it hurts if the skate is too small?  I'm not sure.  All the guy at the store said was maybe bake them with the Superfeet in.  Other insight/recommendations?

Edited by rh71el2

5 hours ago, rh71el2 said:

What can cause the bottom of both feet to hurt suddenly (over a few sessions) after wearing the same skates for almost 2 years? I have 2 boys almost 16 and they've pretty much stayed the same size in the last year+.  No pain in sneakers doing basketball or off-ice running.   One of them has been in his Supreme 3S Pro skates for almost 2 years now and it's only started hurting in both feet in the last month or so.  I did the pencil test and he's still got room at his heel when feet are pushed forward.  I got him Superfeet "Hockey Cushion" (he doesn't have flat feet) and the next 2 sessions were ok, but then it started hurting again. I got him scanned yesterday on a Bauer machine and he's a size 6.0 fit 2.  The skates are a 6.0 fit 3.

My other son has skates less than 1 year old and says after about 20 minutes, especially if standing around at practice a lot, will start hurting.  He has flat feet and I'm going to have him try the Superfeet too but there's gotta be a simple explanation if the symptom is the same... both feet bottoms hurt.  Is that where it hurts if the skate is too small?  I'm not sure.  All the guy at the store said was maybe bake them with the Superfeet in.  Other insight/recommendations?

What kind of pain are they feeling? Is it a sharp pain or more like an ache? Sometimes, tying a skate too tight can put pressure down on the arch, which will cause pain in the bottom of the foot. 

6 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

What kind of pain are they feeling? Is it a sharp pain or more like an ache? Sometimes, tying a skate too tight can put pressure down on the arch, which will cause pain in the bottom of the foot. 

It's definitely an ache and not sharp pain for both of them.  I went with him (the 1st kid) to try on new skates because of this and he tied it pretty loose so I don't think it's ever that tight.  I may pull the trigger on a Mach 6.5 Fit 2 (similar discounted price to an M5 Pro) and hope for the best, what do you think?  Too stiff, no good?

The 2nd kid he says he ties it relatively tight and so he'll try it looser in the middle next time.

Edited by rh71el2

Just now, rh71el2 said:

It's definitely an ache and not sharp pain.  I went with him to try on new skates because of this and he tied it pretty loose so I don't think it's ever that tight.  I may pull the trigger on a Mach 6.5 Fit 2 and hope for the best, what do you think?

If the issue is not the skate itself (too short/long in length, not enough depth, etc) then changing skates is not going to resolve the problem. Does he only get this ache when wearing his hockey skates? 

2 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

If the issue is not the skate itself (too short/long in length, not enough depth, etc) then changing skates is not going to resolve the problem. Does he only get this ache when wearing his hockey skates? 

Yes only in hockey skates, not in sneakers.  Other people said the skate may have "broken down" but I don't think that's really possible especially modern skates.  They're wearing thin dress socks to play - any advantage to changing that up?

Edited by rh71el2

It dawned on me this morning - both my boys have been on isotretinoin and a side effect is muscle/joint pain (including the feet) confirmed by various searches/testimonials.  So that explains it, especially the timing since 1 has been off it for a little while longer.  Thanks all.

Edited by rh71el2

On 5/6/2024 at 7:44 AM, rh71el2 said:

It dawned on me this morning - both my boys have been on isotretinoin and a side effect is muscle/joint pain (including the feet) confirmed by various searches/testimonials.  So that explains it, especially the timing since 1 has been off it for a little while longer.  Thanks all.

It could be the isotretinoin, you might want to reach out to their doctor to double check.