Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ambro

Face-Off Wins...

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to win face-offs? I was a center last year, and was pretty good at winning them, but I played wing the whole year so far this year. I have recently been moved to center, and completely forgot what my moves were last year to win them. Any help is appreciated.

I think the key thing to winning faceoffs is anticipating the dropping of the puck. Try to be moving just before the officials hand moves. When I am having a bad night on faceoffs most times it is because I am having trouble reading the officials hands.

Have a plan. I rarely try to win the draw straight back unless the other guys is really bad. Since I'm a righty, I'll often have my LW cut hard when he sees the ref move his hand/arm to drop the puck and I'll tip it through the other center's legs. That works really well when the other center is a lefty.

Have a plan. I rarely try to win the draw straight back unless the other guys is really bad. Since I'm a righty, I'll often have my LW cut hard when he sees the ref move his hand/arm to drop the puck and I'll tip it through the other center's legs. That works really well when the other center is a lefty.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I know when we try and win face-offs its to get set-up with time and space for a break. We have set plays which are like yours, but we like to keep them for very specific situations because its a 1-chance oppurtunity which can come back on you very quickly if something goes wrong.

Around here most players and coaches aren't smart enough to figure out what's a set play and what isn't. Changing the plan from time to time helps. In other words, don't do the same thing on every faceoff.

By sending the one winger through hard and fast it actually puts him in a good position should I lose the draw. The key is to stay with your man for a second to make sure you get posession.

I played my first game at center a while back. I'd never taken faceoffs before, but I did pretty well. My strategy was simple. Left or right. Push it to the boards in the defensive zone, push it to the middle in the offensive zone.

Between the bluelines, you can try to draw it back, but what I did was look at the matchups between the wings. If my RW was stronger than their LW, I'd push it that way - or vice versa.

Grip your stick low - about 6" to 12" lower with both hands. You gain lots of leverage that way. Keep your head and eyes down. Your peripheral vision is good at picking up movement, so there's no need to stare at the ref's hand.

As soon as you catch a flicker of movement, explode on the puck and push it to the side that you've selected.

You aren't going to get any nice clean wins back to your D-men, but you will put the puck in or keep it out of the slot, and/or you'll send it to the side where your winger has a better chance of gaining possesion.

Anyone else get frustrated with the centres that always try to put it through the opposing centre's skates and pick it up on the other side? Forget gaining possession or tying up the opposing centre - they haven't learned the skill and tactics part of the game.

Anyone else get frustrated with the centres that always try to put it through the opposing centre's skates and pick it up on the other side? Forget gaining possession or tying up the opposing centre - they haven't learned the skill and tactics part of the game.

Those are the same guys that don't play defense and refuse to pass.

In Canada, the refs are supposed to count 5 secs. after the ref puts his hand down to signal no more line changes. Then anticipate like some people said. Also, make sure your hand is down the stick for more leverage. Sometimes you can tell a winger to cut hard to the side or something and just shoot it straight up the middle and the winger cuts infront of the D and gest a breakaway.

Well I played center today, and I would say that I sucked at face-offs. THe other guy didn't win many of them, but neither did I. The ref dropped it everytime and it bounced way up. Not one time did it land flat. I did the only move I remembered from last year most of the time today, which was what mack suggested. I guess great minds think alike. ;)