Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thunderbirds_are_go

How would you run a shortened season?

So if the NHL does resume this season, how do think it should be run (or alternatively, how do you think it will be run - you may have two different answers here!)

I was thinking that if the league doesn't start up for another couple of weeks at least, maybe instead of a (short) regular league followed by a playoff tournament as is usually the case, the whole season should perhaps be run as a tournament - much like the world cup, only bigger. Maybe a divisional reound-robin structure to start it off, followed by adding extra three or five game rounds to the elimination stage, with placement series for eliminated teams (to establish the next draft order).

Any comments, improvements, or just better ideas?

Don't forget nearly half the NHL players are not under contract right now. Teams will be scrambling to sign everyone and then have a training camp.

Division play only for the remainder of the season to enhance rivalries, regular playoff routine after that. I'd like to see 36 games at a minimum. They may have to go on short rest a little more often though.

I'd do something similar. If it's a 20 game season or whatever look at that as kind of a warmup for the playoffs. Every team makes the playoffs, division winners get a first round bye. Make the first round or first two best of 5, conference finals and Stanley Cup Finals best of 7 series.

This probably isn't going to be popular, but I'd say just make the remainder of the season regular games that don't make much difference...more for the fans than for the wins. I think the true hockey fan would appreciate that.

Let sportsmanship lead the charge for the remainder of the season.

Don't forget nearly half the NHL players are not under contract right now. Teams will be scrambling to sign everyone and then have a training camp.

Division play only for the remainder of the season to enhance rivalries, regular playoff routine after that. I'd like to see 36 games at a minimum. They may have to go on short rest a little more often though.

Couldnt agree more with the 36 game season, Chadd. Also, who said an NHL season can't run into July?