Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ambro

Athletics Vs. Academics

Its not working for me anymore, either.  It was a story about a basketball player at Marist College who sold all of his textbooks (that were given to him as part of his scholarship) to make money.

If you're a scholarship athlete there are a number of rules that prohibit you from earning much of an income. Unless you're a great player and go to a school that gives players money (Ohio State), it's actually pretty hard for the students to come up with spending money. I read the article and I don't recall them mentioning other legal problems with him, maybe it was just a mistake.

Hey! (just a little walking around money) B)

but none has ever changed how we look at ourselves, our past or our future.

Athletes do allow us to change how we look at ourselves, and may change the decisions we may or may not make in our future, certainly, no one can change the past. For athletes, especially players themselves, we cannot always look at the sport(s) as mere entertainment or "busy work." Starting with the youngest of athletes, there's a lot to learn in sports associated with life, even the most skilled professional athlete learns something new everyday.

If you base your opinion of yourself based on the accomplishments of another person, athlete or not, you have issues. I stand by my statement that no athlete has ever changed society at large.

Just to play devils advocate, sports can provide a way for portions of the population to band together. The US hockey team in 1980 is an example of that. I just think that it reflects poorly on our nation that athletics is held in such a high regard considering it's essentially just a diversion.

Again, I wasn't stressing the athletic part of the sport, but the lessons you learn in sports, you can use in life, if you're not a literal person, period. An example? How about during the World Wars. How many professional baseball players went off to war? Do you think anyone who admired or had an athlete as a role model was inspired to join the fight? Of course, my grandfather being one did take a better look at himself. He was motivated by the decisions those young men were making, which in turn helped him rethink his original decision of not going off to war. In comparison, Pat Tillman turns down millions of dollars, and walks away from his passion to go fight an almost pointless war, and dies doing so. I personally do not know any, but, I'm positive that his decision and sacrifice has allowed many others to consider the decisions they've made, who they have become, and/or the decisions they have not made or person they have not become.

What does any of what you said have to do with the original point? You should learn lessons every day in every thing you do. You single out Pat Tillman, but there are countless others who have served their country in the same way. Ted Williams is another great example of an athlete serving his country, it still has nothing to do with the original point, nor any of my points.

I wasn't trying to start WWIII when I referred to them, I was refuting your comment, that athletes don't have an impact on people, their decisions, and/or the way they look at themselves. The reason I singled out Pat Tillman, and not the thousands of other members of our military? Well, that has to do with the original point, he's an athlete.

I wasn't trying to start WWIII when I referred to them, I was refuting your comment, that athletes don't have an impact on people, their decisions, and/or the way they look at themselves. The reason I singled out Pat Tillman, and not the thousands of other members of our military? Well, that has to do with the original point, he's an athlete.

His singular impact was negligible at best. Sure the league promoted the hell out him when he died, but nothing changed. Ok, maybe a few more high school kids decided to join the army.

academics make a person, athletics make a person great.  you can't be great without being in the first place, that's my point of view

No athlete has ever cured a disease or advanced the culture of mankind. They may entertain and make us momentarily happy but none has ever changed how we look at ourselves, our past or our future.

sorry, i oversimplified what i was trying to say.

basically, in my opinion, academics make a person succeed in general, but athletics can add spice, flare, individuality etc. think of it as athletics (among other things) being toppings on a pizza, while academics is the dough.