Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cameltaur

tournament rule interpretation

I got ejected from my game tonight for hitting from behind, 2+10. It was totally ridiculous, i came into a scrum and pushed a kid from behind, he didn't even fall. 2 minutes for roughing, max. I've been trying to figure out if i'm suspended for my game tomorrow, which i won't find out until i get there. The tournament rulebook says:

"Any player or team official receiving a game misconduct must sit out the balance of that game. If the game misconduct is in the last 10 minutes of the game, then the next game must be sat as well."

It was in the first period, so according to that I should be fine tomorrow. However, the GTHL rulebook says that the minimum suspension for a checking from behind minor+game is 1 game. Which takes precedence? If i get suspended, do I have any argument based on the tournament rules?

Where's the tournament? They will normally have Hit-from behind rules. I'd say your no good for tommorow, but it depends. I weaseled out of an 8 game suspension because of cross tourney rules. THANK YOU CALEDONIA!

It's in Toronto, Leaside...What really bugs me is the fact that it wasn't even a check, it was a push. i started off an arm's length from the kid, i didnt even skate to hit him.

The way I see it, since it wasnt in the last ten minutes, and it was part of Hockey Canada rules (right? or no?) then you shouldn't be suspended from the next game.

I'm not sure where the tournament rules come from, but the rule saying that i'm suspended is out of the GTHL. I couldn't find anything on the GTHL or hockey canada websites that said the same thing as the tournament rule.

Did you get 2 and 10 or 2 and a game? A misconduct and a game misconduct are different penalties... and if it's a GTHL rule, it seems it should only apply to GTHL games. Here in Detroit, Little Caesars' League rules only apply to LCAHL games.

It sounds like any minor and 10 minute misconduct penalty issued for checking from behind, carries an automatic game misconduct.

There are of course other reasons that a game misconduct might be issued....such as referee abuse etc...I suspect due to the general sensitivity (a good thing) to checking from behind that the rule will be applied as written specifically for that offense in the GTHL rulebook where there is clear and specific verbage concerning that penalty. If the tournament rules are written to supercede the GTHL rules, you might have a case, but probably not.

From my experience, 2-and-10s don't carry the automatic game misconduct... that's why the 10-min is issued. I've seen plenty of 5-and-games, even 4-and-games handed out for serious infractions though.

As for the GTHL involvement... I live in Detroit so I don't know how the GTHL works, but I would say that if it's a GHTL-sacntioned tournament, then their rules apply... if not, then they don't. You should check into that though...

It was 2+game, i made a mistake on that original post...turns out i was suspended, GTHL rules took precedence over the tournament rules. The GTHL is putting emphasis on checking from behind and to the head this year, so i guess thats why the GTHL rules applied and not the tournament rules. We wanted to challenge it, but supposedly you can only challenge suspensions of 6 games or more.