Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason16

'04 Bauer Supreme 5000 Gloves

I have noticed there are next to no threads on these gloves.

I have a pair and am fairly pleased with them. The only problem I have is with the stiffness of the thumb and the index finger; where the opening is no larger than 2 inches in diameter.

Perhaps the gloves were designed with the intention of keeping the "Ergo Thumb Lock†perpetually stiff to prevent hyperextension but nonetheless, are there any suggestions as to how I can aid in the breaking in of the gloves?

I haven't had the new 5000's but I had a pair from maybe three years ago. Like these- Bauer 5000's and the area you are talking about never fully got to the point where I would have liked it. After 150+ hours of ice the area was still very stiff.

One thing that I found to loosen it up somewhat was to put a baseball or some other sort of ball in there and that helped to stretch it a little.

I bought a pair in December and they're one of the best pairs of gloves I've ever owned, but it did take me a while to break them in. At first they were very stiff, but after bending them by hand before and after using them they seemed to soften up and become very flexible. Just bend them by hand a lot, especially bending the fingers back and forth. I also stickhandled with them when I have some free time, that helped.

i got these gloves early in the season and i agree fully no one gives these gloves enough credit they are awesome. i dont really mind the stiffness at all because i rather have a stiff glove than being slashed all the time. the 5 piece cuff is a great feature the pieces are always on my wrist

I agree with jagrfan, bending fingers back and forth helps a lot. doing that broke in my easton air gloves a ton. You just gotta bend them about as far back as they can go, especially the index finger.

Thanks for the input. The flexing of the fingers and stretching the index finger and thumb with a baseball bat are things I have already tried, my gloves are just too darn stubborn. Unfortunatley, my LHS is just as apprehensive as I am about baking a pair of gloves that weren't meant to be baked. I wouldn't mind giving it a try before I give up and get a pair of Sande's.

Any idea as to how hot I should heat the gloves and for how long?

You'll never be able to break the thumb in, it's permanantly locked. There's a really thick plastic insert in there that you can't loosen up.

As for breaking the fingers in, get them wet (spray palms and gussets with a spraybottle) and stick handle for a while. Once you've got a sweat going, take the gloves off, and put them on the floor flat out so the fingers are stretched outward and put a few books or something heavy on top of them and leave it there over night.. just repeat it until you feel they're better. You'll probably notice after the first night.