Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MaverickFBI

Roller Hockey Video on NHL.COM

Thats' new !!!

Ok guys, I live in Europe, so there are a few gap in my american roller hockey culture... <_<

Is this NARCH final the top level Roller Hockey in US ?

I didnt find it so impressive :unsure:

I saw TEAM USA at the IIHF roller world championship in Germany last year and the players seemed to be much better.

In this video the play is so sloooooow !

So tell me :what did you think about the video ?

Basically at Narch Competitions you have three levels and two are for all the age groups...

Top level: Narch Pro competition(sponsored Pro teams only)

Top Amateur levels : Narch platinum competition (all ages)

Club or slightly above club competition: Narch Gold competition (all ages)

I've never even seen roller hockey played before at any kind of level higher than me outside messing around with my friends, but is it common to have like no fore check? Seems like a power play break out with no pressure every time.

Exactly.

This no-fore check policy is so weird... I dont understand !

The other strange thing is that they dont use a D to protect the puckholder when he's behind the net. Our first D Rule is that the second D must stand in front of the net when the first D is behind the net : his role is to protect the puckholder to from the fore check pressure to allow him a nice break out.

And it's the first time that I see a D staying motionless more than 10 seconds behind is net with the puck : unless we want to change lines on the fly or unless we're winning big time and playing the clock.

Did u find this level any impressive ?

Mav,

You have to understand that the play over there is different.

They with no middle redline (so no off-sides). A bit like the FIRS rules.

As the court is much bigger and larger than ours in Belgium, the forwards can't play with a big fore-check, unless they are really great skaters (fast and nimble).

They're going to be fooled 9 times out of 10.

As our court is smaller and we have the centre line off-side, the play is different and pressure can be applied to the D man trying to make his break out play.

If you remember well, Team USA did change their speed quite often during their games at the IIHF WC in Germany...

Ernie Hartlieb (number 9 and captain of team USA) was often behind his net waiting and waiting and didn't rush the plays when he didn't needed to.

:)

Was that Ernie Hartlieb or CJ Yoder...CJ is normally number 9 and the "quarterback" of the team. I did not see the roster to determine the number, but "C" has been # 9 for years on both FIRS and IIHIF teams.

Was the level of play on the videos close to the level of play in the mlrh, piha, or xihl? Or is it better?

I have not seen the video, but given that the XIHL Werewolves, playing as the "New Jersey Savage Wolves" (plus John Pinheiro) won the mens Platinum division at Narch Winternationals this year, I would say that at least the upper teams of the XIHL would be at a much faster, stronger, level than Men's Gold at Narch.

In fact, I think if the Werewolves used only 7 of their top skaters plus Pinheiro as a "talent concentrated team", to play Narch Pro, they could have made some noise. Not saying they would have won, but they would have been competitive in every game. Even the old "Cyberweld Wolves" with some of the same nucleus of players from 2003, played a few Tohrs Regional and a Tohrs National competition at the Pro level. That team would not be quite as strong as this years version, and still won a few games at the Pro level.

For Narch men's Platinum, they went out with 12 skaters, and a couple of those were a bit weaker than the players who could not go.

In the XIHL and the MLRH where offsides are used, and full contact is allowed, the forecheck is much more aggressive, because you can body up the forwards on the breakout....makes a big difference in the game, plus knowing the breakout pass cannot go past center.

I'm going to watch it right now. I really like watching inline video over ice hockey video right now. It might just be because of the lockout.

even on some dsl connection it was a bit choppy so you couldn't tell the true speed of the games at times..but the D1 teams, AMB and Team Tour have some of the players you will see at IIHF and FIRS world's while the Sr. Gold is solid play, but not the same level..those guys are 1-2 levels down from the D1 title..

I would say most Platinum teams are deeper than XIHL, MLRH etc.but the games are a bit different..the Savage Wolves happen to be a very deep team with some players who have NARCh PRO experience..and many who have competed at the Platinum level for years prior to as well..

there will be more games coming on NHL.com in the coming months...I would love to see some of the Midget and Junior contests..those are just great..lots of speed, finesse and physical play..

Was that Ernie Hartlieb or CJ Yoder...CJ is normally number 9 and the "quarterback" of the team. I did not see the roster to determine the number, but "C" has been # 9 for years on both FIRS and IIHIF teams.

MDE3,

CJ Yoder was number 11 at the 2004 IIHF WC in Germany.

He was the assistant captain too.