Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aarias19

brian's catch gloves questions...

hi,

relatively new to goaltending... sorta looking at brian's thief and hook catchers. my friend had a thief back when he played and loved it, but i remember him telling me that back at that time, the thief had the biggest pocket and that was why he bought it. my question is, what's the functional difference between thief and hook? is it just in the trap shape? looking at their website, i had the idea that maybe they're for different types of goalies, but i can't figure it out. anyone have experience with these gloves? thanks,

aarias19

Having used both (and many others :D ) I can give you a pretty good idea of the differences.

1) Air Thief has a larger trapper area and I believe came standard with a split tee pocket. The Hook has a slightly smaller trapping area and used Brian's own hook/anchor tee. No real advantage or disadvantage either way here.

2) (and to me this is the only important difference) The Thief used a gently sloped thumb which directed errant pucks towards the pocket. Similar to a Vaughn Velocity trapper. This was the only Brian's trapper of it's time to use this thumb design. The Hook used a squared thumb which added to the wrist blocking area. This effectively reduced the catching area of the glove but added to the blocking area. This configuration was used extensively throughout the Brian's trapper line up to and including the Beast series. I believe Brians has gone back to the sloped thumb design on its new Demon series gloves.

Both these gloves have a high hand break, essentially where your fingers meet the top of your hand. Again very similar to the Vaughn Velocity.

Which is better? It's all personal preference. I've used both styles and many brands. My personal preference would be the Air Thief. It's big, it's light and the sloped thumb makes it very forgiving directing everything into the pocket where it should be.

The best thing I could recommend when it comes to getting a trapper is stick your hand in as many as you can before deciding. Even two like models from the same company can end up feeling different when on and this piece of equipment more than any other will decide how you play.

Hope this helps...

thanks netminder. i read on some other forums and came to the same conclusion, that i'm just gonna have to feel up a whole bunch of gloves.

regardless, thanks for your take on the gloves! i'm looking at beast as well because i've heard it's for goalies with smaller hands, which i have. luckily my lhs has one sitting around.

aarias19